TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are they? You see them on everything from VW's to Acuras. If you don't know what I am talking about just look at the front bumper of some newer foreign cars, there a little square or circle on them. What are they used for, navigation?

·
Registered
598 Posts
I believe that they are sensors for things like backing up and paralleling parking, if they get too close to something they go off. May be wrong though.

·
Registered
789 Posts
honda has been developing pedestrian safety systems that will do something if you're about to hit someone. maybe that's what you saw. Find a pic online.

·
Registered
744 Posts

see the outline of the liitle square under the pass. headlight, even with the liceanse plate (just under the trim). that's the little shape he's talking about.

·
Tinfoil hat wearer
558 Posts
Well on that BMW that is a cover for a the hole that the Recovery hook screws into. Mostly German cars have them. You take that cover off and screw in a recovery hook that is either in a compartmen in the trunk or in the tool bag. If you ever have a car like that and you need it towed make sure the tow truck driver pulls it up on the flatbed by that hook. On newer BMW's and Mercedes there is no places to put chains on the frame. The correct way to tow them is to pull them on the truck by the recovery hook and use wheel straps to secure them to the bed

·
The Parts Guy
7,268 Posts
:zwthstpd:

That's exactly what those "shapes" are on most of those new cars.

-Rod

·
Tinfoil hat wearer
558 Posts
Josh_Keady said:
They can also be jacking points.

not in the front like that. the jacking points are on the sides. The ones front bumpers are for tow hooks. Trust the tow truck driver!

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Trust the tow truck driver!
Probably word to live by. I should have specified, there are "little shapes" on the rocker panels of some of those cars for a jack (as is illustrated in the first few minutes of "The Transporter".)

·
Registered
17 Posts
azreael344 said:
not in the front like that. the jacking points are on the sides. The ones front bumpers are for tow hooks. Trust the tow truck driver!
Learned something new today. I always thought those were North American delete panels for the headlight washer nozzles usually found on the Euro-spec cars. That picture though obviously couldn't be nozzle deletes because there is only one.
The ones lower on the front as well as the rear I thought were proximity sensors as someone stated.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Josh_Keady said:
Probably word to live by. I should have specified, there are "little shapes" on the rocker panels of some of those cars for a jack (as is illustrated in the first few minutes of "The Transporter".)
god i loved that part. he just stuck in the little bar and turned it and the jack was mounted right in the car at all times. no hassle :D

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I've been curious what that thing was on my girlfriends Z3! Now I know. Thanks guys. :D

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
yea the little square that u see in that pic is the location for the tow hook, the circles you might see across the front and rear bumpers on some of these cars are park distance sensors. the bmw in that picture is not equipped with park distance control for the front.

Frank

1 - 14 of 14 Posts