TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the Livernois Adapter Plates for the PI intake on NPI heads. I have not yet recieved the adapters so i cannot know for sure how thick they are, but it looks like the plates seem to be roughly 1/2" thick judging by researching on this site as well as other mustang forums. However, i have also found that Livernois mills down their PI intake to compensate for the height of the adapters. My question is, does anyone know if these plates will work with a NON milled PI intake on a 96 hood? Also does anyone know what intake plenums are available that are not any HIGHER than stock, as this may obviously interfere with the clearance problems... an example of a plenum that is higher would be C&L. Thank you for any help and guidance.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I think it should clear fine!!!
I was gonna but a 1/2 plate inbetween my c&l Plenum and manifold I think it will work!!!

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
There is a thread here somewhere about how the adapter plates raises the injectors so they aren't in the premium position for best fuel burn. Something to that effect anyway. Might want to do a search on that.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I think they are 1/4 inch, plus an extra gasket (which is really a spacer with two gaskets) and it is close to 1/2 I would guess (and I am guessing).

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a thread here somewhere about how the adapter plates raises the injectors so they aren't in the premium position for best fuel burn. Something to that effect anyway. Might want to do a search on that.
Yeah i did do a little research and found the thread that had this type of information in there. The thread had some folks saying that the above statement is true, and others saying that it is false... However, now that Lonnie has left his 2 cents it leaves me with how should i go about using these adapters then? Should i install them only until i get a tune from Lonnie? Lonnie, can you even set up a tune to get around the lean condition or do i have to get a PI intake that has been milled down to compensate for the raised height due to the adapter plates? Thank you everyone.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
The adaptors are not neccessary. The lean issue is probably because (I don't know for sure 100%) the injector timing is done to spray the fuel on a closed intake valve just before it opens so that the fuel can vaporize more. When you pull the injector further away from the valve, the fuel will now reach an open intake valve. Same type of issue when you move the O2 sensors further away from the engine. You can go into the tune and change the injector timing but thats like putting a bandaid on a problem that shouldn't be there in the first place. Just use RTV and PI gaskets IMHO.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont really want to go that way. Even though using RTV is more than a proven method, i prefer having that piece of mind. I dont want the POTENTIAL coolant leak even in my mind. Also i dont think that it's a good idea to "butt" the intake ports with the head ports together like that. In my opinion port matching is the way to go... That is why i am using the adapters and going around using the RTV method. Not saying that the RTV is wrong or doesn't work, i just prefer the extra piece of mind...

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I have to agree on the RTV, I think about it all the time too now that I have put about 25K on it. Don't worry about "butting" the intake though, it actually is a good match as there is little to zero flow at the floor of the intake outlet anyway. The adapters change the shape so fast the air reacts to them the same as the intake only.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually got them from Chris Keggan, if this is the "other" supercharged guy. Haha. But yeah finally got them in, paid $100 for it shipped. I'm not really sure if these plates are really worth that much, but hey it was a good deal compared to buying them new from Livernois. All in all i am happy with it, and i'll obviously let everyone know when i get the intake installed...

Jurgen, did you install the PI intake before the supercharger or after? If it was after what kinds of gains did you see with the intake? I'm thinking about getting a vortec as well...

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
PI intake is good for a loss of 10-20ftlbs below 4000RPM, 10HP gain at 5K, and about 20-40HP gain at 6K depending on mods over the NPI from the graphs I have seen.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any HP loss? I went on SN95 forums and it seems as if some of those guys gain as much as 20-25RWHP on a stock car? Obviously in the upper RPM range however. Many do however experience the tq loss that you describe...

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
i had the similar plates to these that were made by a guy and he used to sell them on ebay. They were well constructed and overall a good price. Off the top of my head i cant remember how thick they were but i found out taking them to the dyno that i was running wayyyyy lean from them and would need a new tune to correct it so i took them off and rtv the spots and said the hell with it lol so if i were u once u get them installed take it to a dyno or if u have an 02 guage hook up i would just make sure

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Any HP loss? I went on SN95 forums and it seems as if some of those guys gain as much as 20-25RWHP on a stock car? Obviously in the upper RPM range however. Many do however experience the tq loss that you describe...

Only losses are below 4K with the intake. With the PI cams there appear to be no losses anywhere.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts

Exactly what happens when you lean out the engine with no other changes.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts