TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gave my son my awesome bird last Sept. 20th. It was going to be his one day anyway. Well he passed June 10th and I went to pick up car and omg...you wouldnt believe. Body...ehh, not wrecked. Interior pretty much looked 3 out of 10, it was a 10. Now with issues:

1. Headlight knob gone, see shavings using pliers to turn, no biggie. (Junk Yard)
2. Voltage guage not working
3. AC wont work, fan and compressor...nothing. Master cylinder empty no brakes, I just had new brake lines installed last summer.
4. Digital Temp readout for inside temp adjust not working. Blacked out.
5. I have not drove it, rough running with rich smell.
6. He put a K&N on it, guess he thought it was a hot rod. It looks like crap
7. 3 of the 18" bullet wheels has missing stud on each wheel...unreal.
8. Driver door has up and down play.

2, 3, 4 and 6 is what I was wondering about.

Anyway I can go on but some of the main issues are listed. My poor babies, my son and car.

oh yeah forgot to mention the antenna wont go down just hear a grinding noise then it stops. Any help with this I would be grateful, I dont know where to start but once its running good I will just have to sell it cheap.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,576 Posts
Hey there, very sorry to hear about your son and the car.

It's possible the voltage gauge just died, or got stuck. You can pull the face off the cluster to re-seat the gauge to see if there's a positive impact. You could also try re-seating the connections to the cluster. Otherwise a replacement gauge may be needed.

As for the A/C, I'd start by checking the fuses. IIRC there are two; one under the dash and one for the compressor relay under the hood. If both check out you can check to see if there is a proper refrigerant charge. With a full charge it should show about 70 or 80 PSI in the system on both high and low sides. If there is, check continuity for the low side cycling switch on the accumulator. It should be closed above about 40-45 PSI. If that doesn't check out, you can temporarily short the connector with the A/C on to simulate a closed switch to see if the clutch engages. If not, it could be a bad clutch. Check for voltage there.

Not sure about the dead LCD display on the SATC head. Could be a bad driver module. There isn't something opaque behind the plastic? I ran into that on a previous Mark VIII I had - the owner put a piece of foam in front of the VMM display monitor because he was trying to cover up the "OIL LEVEL LOW" message that appeared (because of a bad oil level sensor).

The K&N and running rich could be related. It's easy to over-oil the filter, which then gets all over the MAF sensor which screws up how the car runs across the board. I'd start by putting a regular paper filter in, cleaning the MAF sensor, and resetting the PCM.

The hinge pins for the door are probably in need of replacement. Check to be sure the bore for them is circular and not oval. You may need to bore them out and use a slightly larger pin to get rid of the slack.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The AC was all checked and evacuated then recharged worked great. The AC clutch probably isnt it, I mean if you cant turn it on....no controls are working for AC to come on. The LCD isnt being hid with anything, thats just part of the controls not working too. Guess I'll start with fuses. I know squat about resetting a PCM. Car runs the same unplugging MAF, I hope the egr isnt the problem.

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Sorry to hear about the loss of your son and what's happened to your car.

To add to what Brandon has mentioned, maybe start looking around behind the dash to see if he or someone else had things apart and didn't put things back together. I'd pull the wheels off and see what may have happened to the brakes, you said 3 studs were missing. Again, someone may have been playing with something and broke a line.

Hope things work out here for you.

Joe

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to hear about the loss of your son and what's happened to your car.

To add to what Brandon has mentioned, maybe start looking around behind the dash to see if he or someone else had things apart and didn't put things back together. I'd pull the wheels off and see what may have happened to the brakes, you said 3 studs were missing. Again, someone may have been playing with something and broke a line.

Hope things work out here for you.

Joe

Yeah he didn't know much about cars. I have to start with fuses, check plugs vacumn lines etc. This control thing for climate and volt guage not working is weird. I just want it running right and everything works then its gone cheap unless somebody would like it now..Id take $1000 for it as is, like I said body straight no wrecks.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked all fuses...the 5A run fuse was blown; replaced and voltage Gauge worked, LCD lights were working but didn't get to check if fan or AC would work.
The fuse blew again on the 5A run. Where to go from here?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts