TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked and looked, but I can still not find out where the low pressure fitting is to recharge my a/c system. I found two fittings that look like they are part of the a/c system, one is located on the right side of the intake, near the dipstick, and the other is sticking up in between the radiator core support and the front of the engine. Any help is greatly appreciated, all locations i noted are looking from the front of the car. The car is a 1992 5.0 sport thunderbird.

Matt T

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry but where is the condenser and the accumulator in the engine? Is the condenser near the dipstick on the right hand side of the engine?

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
the condensor is in front of the radiator ,

Also what kind of freon are you using ?

The freon you can buy at the auto store is for the newer A/C system .

Not sure if you can use it on yours , there should be a sticker with the kind of freon to use on your car .

Also Have you tried to fit the fitting on either A/C fitting ,cause i think they are two diferent size so you can only charge it on the right fitting .

please correct me if im wrong!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I found the two fittings are the same size, neither will fit on either fittings, however the car does have r134a in it. I had it changed over, however the place I had it done, was able to do it with the stock fittings. So the fitting in front of the radiator sticking up is the high pressure fitting, and the fitting near the dipstick and condensor is the low pressure fitting? I have the adapter, however don't know which fitting to put it on. I can't find an engine diagram anywhere. thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On my earlier post i noted neither will fit on either fittings, I meant the recharge fitting won't fit on either fitting.The hose fitting won't fit on either fitting, yet I need to know which fitting to put the adapter on

·
Registered
480 Posts
the accumulator is on the pass. side of the firewall, little tube cylinder lookin thing. the fitting on that rail is the low side, thats the one where you fill it. the fitting on the line closest to the condensor which the condensor is right in front of the radiator is for the high side fitting.

are the fittings they gave you the right ones? both are different sized. 1 fitting for 1 port. the low side is the larger of the 2. they probably took the fittings off after they filled it. some places are pricks like that and charge you for the fittings and then take them back off. R12 fittings are really small. if the guage fill port is bigger than the low side fitting on your rail on the car then you still have the R12 fittings, so you'll need to get a set of the right 134A fittings to make your guage kit work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found the accumulator, yet I still can't find the fitting, is it visible from top or below the engine, the only fitting I see is near the compressor in front of the radiator, it is sticking up about 12 inches from a main line.

·
Registered
480 Posts
matt4.2 said:
I found the accumulator, yet I still can't find the fitting, is it visible from top or below the engine, the only fitting I see is near the compressor in front of the radiator, it is sticking up about 12 inches from a main line.

top of the engine. the fitting that is closest to the firewall where the accumulator is is the low side line. if it helps its the bigger of the 2 lines.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
On a 92 5.0L, it is very close to the power steering pump. I know because I have a 93' and there isn't much difference. If you look at the power steering pump, glance back at where the lines come out of the compressor. You will see the hose from the accumulator to the compressor. The connection is on it. Between the firewall and the power steering pump. It is on the driver side. The high pressure connection is on the passenger side by the radiator. Do not try to put freon into it. The can will blow up in your face. I hope that helps. If I could post pictures I would show you.
R134A uses a snap on connection like an air compressor. R12 uses a screw on connection. Do not open the gauges unless you are filling it up. Then connect the can to the yellow hose and start the car and turn on the A.C. and open the blue hose vavle and watch the gauges. Don't let it get above 250 psi on the high side. It should cycle on and off once you start filling it up. In case you don't already know.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just replaced all the A/C components on my '91 T-Bird and then had it recharged with R-12. I learned is that to get really cold A/C, everything's got to be exactly right. For one, it's VERY important to have just the right amounts of freon and oil in the system. An overcharge will damage the compressor and give you less cooling at the same time, and it's hard to guess the right amounts using cans. What's wrong with the A/C that made you decide to add freon? Just not cold enough?

You might be money ahead to have a good A/C shop vacuum out the system, leak test it, and then, if it's solid, fill it with the exact amounts of oil and freon it needs. If you're right that it's low on freon, there must be a leak somewhere. Which means air and moisture--both of which are terrible for the system--may have gotten into it. A $50 vacuuming will remove all that and also tell you if there's a leak, where it is, and any parts you need.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Don't need to really replace everything just to fix the A.C. On Fords, it is usually the O rings in side the connections. If you have the right tools they can be replaced. The accumulator can go bad. There is a sack of some shat in it that breaks and clogs up stuff. Also some filter in a line somewhere that gets clogged up. Then the compressor could also go out. That's about it. Except the Electronic Clumate Control in the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts