TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The electric fan on my 94 Thunderbird's radiator will not come on. I have disconnected the wiring harness to it & wired the fan directly to the battery & the fan runs.

I want to replace the temperature switch that turns the radiator fan on, but where is it located on the engine?

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
It's controlled via a relay which is controlled by the PCM (engine computer). The PCM uses the coolant temp sensor in the intake manifold coolant crossover. It is the grey sensor (there's also a green one for your temp gauge), I think it's on the driver's side.

·
Registered
488 Posts
ANy other ideas on the fan? I replaced my sensor and it still isn't working.I thought I saw on here there was another mudule or something in front of the airbox that controls the fan also.Part # F48F-12B577-AA or something like that unless i'm looking at the wrong thing.I called the dealer and they said there was no such number and to bring it up and they will check it out for a small fee.Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Couple of thoughts, based on my '97, so they probably apply to yours, but no guarantees:

Does your AC work? On my '97, there is a high-amp fuse in the engine compartment fuse box that supplies both the fan and the AC compressor clutch. Check it out; the exact location should be in your manual.

Also, at least on my '97, the fan comes on with the AC regardless of the temperature of the engine. Turn on the AC and see if the fan comes on. If not, it's probably not the sensor. The relay would be the next best thing to look at.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I traced mine to a blown fuse in the fuse box under the hood. I replaced the fuse & the fan now works. Kinda makes me wonder what would have caused the fuse to blow in the first place?

·
Registered
488 Posts
no blown fuses in my case and the sensor didn't fix it either thats why i'm leaning towards a relay of some sort.I wouldn't even be driving it rigth now but its my only means of transportation at this present time.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Yeah it's that thing behind the passenger side headlight it also controls the fuel pump relay. One of fords better ideas. Instead of relays mount the relays inside a metal box together and sell it as a $100 module.Instead of a $7 relay
Alan

·
Registered
185 Posts
Opposite problem

I have the opposite problem. My radiator fan will not turn off. What specifically would cause this?

Thanks,
Will

·
5,650 Posts
Wow, you've been searching, huh? First things first. Do you have your A/C on or the selector knob in any position except OFF? The fan is supposed to operate below 45 mph when the A/C compressor is on.

Does the fan come on the moment you turn the key, even if the engine is off? If this is the case and the CEL isn't on when the engine is running (the CEL should be on when you just turn the key), then you've probably got a bad CCRM. If your CEL is on and it has a code for the temp sensor having an open circuit, then your coolant temp sensor is either unplugged or the to the sensor is damaged.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The CEL is on but the code thrown for that is right bank rich, which I think is an O2 sensor.

I just double checked and put the climate control to off and turned on the car and the fan turns on right away and stays on.

Is that temp sensor the same one that reads to the temp gauge in the car? In the car it seems ok. I did just flush the whole coolant system because it was rusty.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The fan does not turn on with the ignition turned to on.

Whats this mean?

·
Registered
185 Posts
The compressor isn't running when it is set to on.

I'll replace the CCRM and let you know the results.

Thanks!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hey I have the CCRM, but just to let you know the compressor doesn't run no matter what. Does it ned refrigerant or does the CCRM control that also?

Also where is the CCRM located?

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
In front of the airbox, behind the pass. headlight. Black metal box with about 10 wires going into a single connector. Unbolt the connector, then the bracket, and swap the old one for the new.

·
5,650 Posts
Hey I have the CCRM, but just to let you know the compressor doesn't run no matter what. Does it ned refrigerant or does the CCRM control that also?

Also where is the CCRM located?
The compressor isn't supposed to run all the time, and yes the clutch is powered through the CCRM.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Great then I don't even need to recharge just yet. I should be able to get this done after work. I'll let you know the results.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I looked all over that area and could not find anything. I even looked at a picure from the EVTM that I have on CD. The closest things I see is this part in front of the radiator which has a very similar part on the right side and then right behind the head light is this bigger module with a lot of wires but that is it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts