TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I did get out on the passenger side. Both the internal and external handles of the driver side door do not work. Does anyone know how I can get the door opened without destroying the car? :confused: PS I've seen the repair threads. But I do have to get the door open to get the panel off.

·
Super Moderator
7,669 Posts
Yes you need to get the door open to remove the door panel. I suspect if both handles failed simultaneously, that it has something to do with the latch. Sometimes they freeze up, so first try spraying som PB blaster in between the door and quarter panel near where the latch is, and also spend some time working the lock up and down both from inside the car and also with the key in the cylinder to see if one of them is binding. Worst case, you may want to go to the junkyard and get a door panel of the same color to replace yours, and then just cut and break yours out of the way to get access to see what is going on.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how difficult is it to remove the dash panel? seeking alternatives. These cars are "few and far between" here. If the fender were removed could the hinge pin be cut?

·
Super Moderator
7,669 Posts
In theory, the hinge pins could be cut if the fender was removed, but you still wouldn't be able to get the door opened that way due to the design of the latch.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
You won't be able to get the fender off because one screw comes out from the door side.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Maybe go through the rear speaker hole and cut the nut for the striker? It's been a while since I've been in there so I can't remember if this is feasible or not.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts

all these great ideas but nobody has mentioned the obvious. weld the door shut and paint the confederate flag on the roof
Mine are bolted on with a big #12 on it.:headbang:

You may have to pull the front seat to get the panel off.:zdunno:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts