TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install a locking gas cap for increased security. I seams the more I do to this car, the more ppl try to mess with it, and Im not ready to build and engine so I dont wanna end up with sugar in my tank. So I'm thinking probaly a Stant. But im affraid it will set of a P1443 code, has anyone with a 96-97 installed one of these? Ive heard stories that some ppl end up with a check engine light after installing aftermarket gas caps and im just about to solve my P1443 code and dont want it lingering around.

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
I have an aftermarket locking cap on my 96! I have never had CE with it. As long as it seals properly and has a vent, it shouldn't give one.

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
How can a gas cap throw a code?

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
i guess the tank is pressurised?...maybe it throws a code that way???...i know it did it on my friends STS when he didnt have a cap on his...

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I think it has something to do with the emissions system that it throws a code. I know our old focus threw a code when the gas cap went bad and didn't seal properly.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the evap emissions systems keeps watch on gas tank pressure. I think it equalizes pressure @ 2psi and -1/2psi something close to that. One reason I want a new cap is because I already have a P1443 code and Ive noticed my gas cap never hisses when i take it off anymore. so it could have gone bad. Plus I want some security against having my tank sugared.

TGJ, what kind of cap did you buy, a Stant?

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
Mine is a Motorad.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The gas cap doesn't hiss on any of my vehicles when I take it off. More than likely, the P1443 code you are getting is the control solenoid and the evap valve for the charcoal cannister. Ford has a kit to replace these components.

My 96 LX had this problem and didn't go away until I installed the new components. They are located behind the passenger front wheel well and are not very easy to get to. Be careful not to break the electrical connectors when you remove them as the locking device gets brittle with age and heat. My lock broke, but it is still functioning correctly.

Good luck with the 1443. Took me quite a few weeks to track mine down.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i figured it most likely wasnt the cap, but i did take a good look at it the other day and there is a crack in the seal so maybe ill get lucky. I think I'm gonna head out to a parts store today to get a new cap

1 - 9 of 9 Posts