TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Cougar takes noticeably longer than my Thunderbird does to turn over. This is strange because my Cougar is a low miles car and in better overall condition. My Tbird starts up instantly every time, sometimes my Cougar cranks for like two seconds before it fires up...?

Anything I can check? It's not that bad but I would like to figure out why. I did clean the Crank Position Sensor connector last year due to a no start condition, that seems resolved at this point. No codes on the car and everything runs great.

Anything I should check or replace?

·
Super Moderator
9,304 Posts
Watch the service engine soon light. When you turn the key to ON, don't immediately start cranking. Wait for the light to blink. Once the light blinks, then start cranking.

My 97 does this - it takes 1 or 2 seconds for the light to blink and the PCM to finish "booting" before it will start the engine for some reason. It is worse when it's cold, and if everything's hot, it's almost instant like it should be.

·
The Parts Guy
7,326 Posts
When were the plugs last replaced? Have you tried cycling the key once before attempting to start?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
RobertP always claimed that this was a faulty drain back valve in the fuel pump (for lack of a better term), and that it would allow the fuel to drain back to the tank when you shut the car off, forcing the line to be re-primed on start up.

My 95 had a long crank for several years until I had him put a pump in there. That improved it immensely. Still occasionally cranks a little long, but nothing like before.

Turning the key on for 2 seconds will fix you right up, either by priming the pump, or it's possible the ECU thing mentioned above. It is a pain though.

Al

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions. Car has had a recent tune up so thats not an issue. I have now been letting the fuel pump run for a second or two before I crank and that seems to help some , so I think its fuel related.... I had another no start, and wiggling the crank sensor fixed it immediately. Im going to replace the crank sensor harness and I will report back.....

·
Super Moderator
10,651 Posts
Watch the service engine soon light. When you turn the key to ON, don't immediately start cranking. Wait for the light to blink. Once the light blinks, then start cranking.

My 97 does this - it takes 1 or 2 seconds for the light to blink and the PCM to finish "booting" before it will start the engine for some reason. It is worse when it's cold, and if everything's hot, it's almost instant like it should be.
This sounds like the oscillator in the EEC is bad or poorly soldered; it or the caps... it makes better contact at one temp extreme, which is usually random.

I've had embedded processor problems like that before. :)

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Have you guys ever repaired, or had someone repair a PCM?

I had a buddy replace the capacitors that leaked on an old Eagle Talon PCM. My old FTE1 looks fine inside, but obviously doesn't work. I either want to pick up another spare, or fix this one.

Al

1 - 7 of 7 Posts