TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OKay, i have a 4.6L 96 thunderbird, i need to know if any one has or knows somebody who has put long tube headers on a 4.6L. im wondering if long tube headers from a mustang 4.6 will fit on my bird. if any one has ne suggestions or advice, let me know thanks\
RIchard

·
Registered
987 Posts
I don't know of anyone, and after long hours of using the search button, I never found anyone. The best I could find are the Kooks which are more like mid-length headers... I have heard a lot of very positive feedback about them and have not heard of any bad... go to supercoupeperformance.com to find them and the prices...

Sam

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
For a 4.6 example, you are out of luck. Blown 306 took mustang long tubes and hacked them to fit on a 5.0 with a Kenne-Bell. He had to redo the driver's side so the stearing linkage could actually go through the header. He said it took him about a month of measuring, cutting, and welding to make it work. Definately not for the faint of heart.

I'm with slayer, go with the Kooks unless you can work miracles with a torch and welder.

Pete

·
Registered
192 Posts
If you have your heart set on a set of long tubes,I meen 100% set on them and your willing to spend big money there is an option. First get a set of the Kooks headers.Cut foo the collectors.Next install on the car, and have new tubes bent to make about a 45 degree bend on all 4.I'm not 100% sure what exact angles are needed, but what you will be doing is moddifing a set of "3/4 length" headers into long tubes. After that you will then be ready to install new collectors.If you do not have access to a good exhaust bender,welder,and have the time and know how to fab up your own parts I would guess it would cost about 400$-700$ plus the cost of the kooks headers.I would not get the coated ones, cause you would need to re coat the botom half later. I would get them coated after the work is done, since you dont want to have a set of 1400$$$$ headers rust out. Like I said, it is posible, but not cheap.In my opinion, unless your at or near the 300HP level, JBA's would work fine(if the cracking issue is fixed).Then up to 450HP-500HP level the kooks will work great. Over that and the long tubes in 1 3/4 inch size. So how much power do you want? And how deep are you pockets? Good luck.....................Dan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts