TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Pimp! I was debating on whether or not to get a set. I thought they were a bit steep. Besides, my 02 explorer engine doesnt detonate at all with 22c plugs, 180 stat, and 93 octane. Get some pics of them installed on a t-bird! :D
-Rob

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
ooo ooo me too. should make for a good story too!
-Thomas

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got it in and it was not fun. The worst part was getting the freeze plug out. I could not punch a hole in it and I had to take my dremmel tool with the flexable extension and put the cutting bit on it and drill a hole in it and slot it. Ihad to pry it out with a large screwdriver with a pipe. More details will follow.

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got it in. I had to remove the windshield wiper motor and plastic shielding around the the brake booster. The most difficult part of that was getting the wiper arms loose over the brake booster. I had to modify the bypass and drill one hole in the bracket to get it to fit. It is being held in with one bolt. I had to tighten the bolt and then tap on the dill a little more to seat it and work back and forth till it was totaly seated and the bolt would not tighten no more. I have not gotten it all back together but I got the worst of the job behind me. I have about 4 cuts on my hands from doing this. I will finish up tomorow since it is a little past midnight and I am tired.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Sorry to jump in.
My cat just lost a cylinder and I may be doing the 02 explorer swap and was wondering if detonation is a problem with this motor. Since I wasn't planning on using colder plugs and t-stat like Rob stated above. Will I have problems with stock stuff?

thanks
rob

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would go ahead and install it anyways even though detonation is not a problem. It will allow you to run more timing safely and make more power without the fear of detonation. Read what jerry said about it over on the modulardepot.com. If the motor is going to be out of the car it would be the perefect time to add this espicaly if since you have the motor out of the car. I am not sure if the explor has a heater outlet on the back of the passangerside manifold like the 94-97 birds have. If not you might have to get 2 of them.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
thanks for the info

rob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts