TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my '90 LS died a couple of weeks ago, I have been car shopping. Finally found a '97 LX that seems promising. It is a 3.8 car which is good since I feel pretty comfortable with them - other than headgaskets (R.I.P. LS) However Consumer Guide states that the 3.8 was substantially revised with the 1996 models. What changed? Would someone please clue me in.

Also, the pics of the car look real nice, especially for an 11 yo car. But the proof will be when I can check out the rocker panels & bottom of the doors.

So, is there anything in particular that I should be on the lookout for?

The owner has had the car since 2000 and it has been garage kept since he owned it. The car has 123K miles. Thinking I can get it for ~$2,800. Sound reasonable? Cloth interior with sunroof.

Thanks

Scott

·
Administrator
8,055 Posts
However Consumer Guide states that the 3.8 was substantially revised with the 1996 models. What changed? Would someone please clue me in.
The horse power was bumped up 5hp! :eek: Tubular exhaust manifolds were added. There were other things done internally with the heads and connecting rods. Do a search, you should be able to find out.

The head gasket issue isn't as bad as the earlier motors had.

Joe

1 - 2 of 2 Posts