TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Van has 99000 miles asking price of 1600. Very clean, never had small children in it. Timing belt and water pump have been replaced. Tire are 98%. Did for resolve the 3.8 head gasket issues by then. Were the transmissions still a weak point. Anything else to watch for?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Design was fixed in 96, though they are not bullet proof. Personally I'd be more concerned with the AXOD than the 3.8.

3.8s do not have timing belts. If the timing chain has been that would throw a flag for me as to why.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the timing cover beneath the water pump? It's owned by senior citizens so I wonder if they convinced them to do the timing chain at the same time due to age.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The transmission has me a little nervous but my thought is a rust free car for $1600 or less, I can have a transmission rebuilt (quoted at $2000+tax) and still come in cheaper than something newer with more miles.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I had a 96 windstar. The only leaks you have to worry about are the lower intake manifold gasket, which some people mistake it for a head gasket leak and the freeze plugs. Also engine misfires, I had 2 you have to clean out the egr ports which are holes that look like buttons on the lower intake manifold. I have never had a problem with the trans because I would exchange the fluid every 24k miles. Hope this info helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts