TCCoA Forums banner

Looking at a 98 windstar got questions

950 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  coggonobrien 
#1 ·
Van has 99000 miles asking price of 1600. Very clean, never had small children in it. Timing belt and water pump have been replaced. Tire are 98%. Did for resolve the 3.8 head gasket issues by then. Were the transmissions still a weak point. Anything else to watch for?

#2 ·
Design was fixed in 96, though they are not bullet proof. Personally I'd be more concerned with the AXOD than the 3.8.

3.8s do not have timing belts. If the timing chain has been that would throw a flag for me as to why.

#5 ·
I had a 96 windstar. The only leaks you have to worry about are the lower intake manifold gasket, which some people mistake it for a head gasket leak and the freeze plugs. Also engine misfires, I had 2 you have to clean out the egr ports which are holes that look like buttons on the lower intake manifold. I have never had a problem with the trans because I would exchange the fluid every 24k miles. Hope this info helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.