TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a set of pi heads with aftermarket cams with .540 lift. My question is, will this require bigger injectors, higher stall convertor, etc. I know I will need a tune but I am afraid all the extra work is going to add up to more than I can afford. :zdunno:

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
Which cams did you have in mind?

I'm not sure about clearances but no, you won't "need" a higher stall converter or larger injectors with just heads and cam swap.

The bottom line is - If you can't afford it don't start the project.

·
Registered
652 Posts
another question you need to ask yourself, can you install the cams yourself. Labor alone with will cost you some.

You can buy PI heads with cams already installed, degreed and ready to bolt to your block from Modular head shop.

Dont forget all the miscellaneous things you will need such as PI intake, gaskets, oils, coolant, etc.....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cams are already on the heads. A guy I know had them on his mustang and is selling the heads with the gear set, intake manifold, timing case cover and new timing chain guides. I have never swapped heads before, but my dad has so I will have his advice and I'm more than confident I can do it.

·
Super Moderator
9,147 Posts
Let's put it this way. Larger cams increase flow. Increasing flow increases power in the higher RPM band. If you want to take advantage of that you need to have a drivetrain capable of those RPMs in addition to the ability to get the engine into the powerband quickly. That's where a built trans and torque converter come into play. It's not coincidence that many aftermarket cams past a certain point always recommend more stall.

That said, what specs are on these cams?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have not gotten the exact specs on the cam yet, not even sure if the guy has/knows the specs for them anymore. Its starting to sound like it would be more wise to get a set of stock PI heads and do my own cams later on down the road so that I know exactly what Im getting. With that said, I also do not want to pass up a good deal.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
With that said, I also do not want to pass up a good deal.
I see what you mean but at the same time, it's an oxymoron----how can you know if it s a good deal or not if you don't have cam specs? You could be getting reground stock cams for all you know at this point.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is a very valid point, I think I may have to pass on this one unless I can get some proof of the work done to the heads. Thanks for all the helpful info!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I thought the mustang had the windsor and the thunderbird/cougars had the romeo type of engine? Wouldent the mustang heads not work on that year mustang?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
I thought the mustang had the windsor and the thunderbird/cougars had the romeo type of engine? Wouldent the mustang heads not work on that year mustang?
Yes and no.

There is a sticky at the top of this very forum that talks about windsor/romeo modular engines.

·
Super Moderator
16,751 Posts
:bangwall:

Only 99-01 Mustangs were Windsors. And even still it wouldn't matter because they interchange.

Romeo vs. Windsor isn't the same thing as Cleveland vs. Windsor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts