TCCoA Forums banner

Looking at buying Super Coupe . . . Year Difference?

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  955spdSC 
#1 ·
I am looking at a 90' Super Coupe, and I have read some of the threads on what to look for i.e. problems, but my question is: Are some years better or worse than others?

Thanks guys, I am currently 91' 5.0L T-Bird owner, and it's getting tired . . . it's time to retire it. I have test driven the Super Charger, and what can I say other than I am hooked! It's a fun car!

I am looking at a 97' T-Bird with 4.6L, but I am afraid I might be disappointed about driving the 5.0 & the Super Charger.

Thanks again! I appreciate everyone's input.

#2 ·
One thing to think about concerning a '97 4.6 versus a '90 Super Coupe is the age of all the other components. 'Probably need to do a lot less maintenance on the '97, and there's an awful lot more customization ability in terms of parts, etc., for the '97...

#4 ·
The 89 thru 93 are pretty much the same. The 94/95 have more hp and torque than the older sc and have the better supercharger on them. The most frequent problems on a sc are the harmonic balancer going bad which should be replaced with the BHJ solid balancer which is expensive around $350.00 to $400.00 but never have to replace again. Also the motor mounts because of the weak jelly filled ones from the factory are junk but can also be replaced with the solid motor mounts. The head gaskets are known to go on the sc because of the very restrictive exhaust. That is the number #1 mod that any sc owner must do first. Another problem to look for is the accumalator for the brakes again a costly item. I have a 91 sc and love it and would never replace it with any car. If you are looking to buy a sc for a daily driver I would think twice about it. They are a very expensive vehicle for parts and are not one of the easiest to work on. But on the other hand they are a blast to drive and with the right mods they will walk over anything that pulls up next to you.

#5 ·
Thank you for the cautions on the SC. The one that I am looking at has been maintained very well!! The super charger is almost new, and I will have to ask about the head gasket.

Couple more questons:
- How expensive is it to have the motor mounts replaced?
- I took the car for a test drive, and when the engine came to an idle you would hear for lack of a better term a growling sound. The owner said that the restrictors had been removed to improve the performance. Any problems here? Is this a common mod?
- Anything else?

Thanks again!

#8 ·
Iwannansc I agree that it is not a expensive part to us that own a sc. Because look at the cost of other parts for our cars. But for those that dont own a sc they would think a $100.00 is alot. You can do a complete brake job on other cars for under a $100.00 and still have money left over in your pocket.

#9 ·
johnaec said:
'Probably need to do a lot less maintenance on the '97, and there's an awful lot more customization ability in terms of parts, etc., for the '97...
The SC sure is a fun car to drive, but the ones I have seen have a lot miles etc.
I have seen some of the newer 4.6L etc. with less miles. So, now I thinking and leaning towards the 4.6L vs. the SC, even though the SC was a fun car to drive! I need something that is fun to drive and dependable!

Question: What kind of mods etc. and customization can I expect to be able to do with the later model cars?

Thanks again for your input, I realize the question maybe a broad one, but I am just looking for some ideas, so I can make a decision on which way to go on this. :confused: I really enjoy my 91' Sport 5.0L H.O., and I don't want to give up too much of the performance that I have enjoyed over the years with that engine, and without no doubts I am hooked on the T-Birds!

#12 ·
I had my engine and transmission mount replaced for 190.00 USD. The actual cost of the mounts was about 110.00 USD. If you found an SC in good shape, it's probably a reflection of how good everything else was taken care of, so I would say that would be a good deal and get the SC!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.