TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, now that I'll be heading off to college soon I need to get a another car. (The T-Bird is NOT sitting outside all year round, it'll be staying in the garage back at home until i get my own). I want to get an SHO Taurus, I have always liked them quite a bit. I am looking for either a Gen II 5-speed or a Gen III. I was wondering what your impression of them are and what some worthwile mods are. (The V8's cam problem concerns me lol) Thanks for any input.

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
Very expensive to fix.Get a Countor SVT or something like that over the SHO.
Thanks,
Chris

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I had my '92 for 2 years and had no problems with it. Of course, it was well maintained when I bought it and in nearlly perfect shape. So it may of been the exception. It was quite quick and this gen. is faster than the gen III and V8 of '98 on. It ran about 15 flat and the newer ones run in the upper 15's, or slower. I liked it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I like the SHO as well, But I must second that a Countor SVT would be a better choice.

I know a couple of people in Tucson with them. They LOVE the Countor.

MG

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
SHO for a winter car?

I did it for two years, and would rather drive a bird.

An SHO is not a beater car, if something (engine/transmission) breaks you might have to wait a week or two to get parts, and they'll want your first born as payment.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car will be driven in the city, and they are very good about getting the streets plowed immediately, and it usually doesnt snow a lot where I am going. An SVT Countour would be nice, but I seriously doubt I'll be able to find one of them in MT. I was also thinking about a 99-01 Cougar, or a GTP Grand Prix. Does anybody know what those run in the quarter? I am still considering the Taurus though, but I do know they cost a lot to fix and are difficult to maintain.

·
Registered
817 Posts
id get a GTP. way easier to mod, and looks better than a fricking taurus anyday of the week.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
3.0L Contour (modified, Taurus V6), Contour SVT, GTP.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
You mean a first-gen GTP? They're good for mid 15s stock (according to magazine tests). The thing I like best about mine is the 7000 rpm redline.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
on the v8's the cam probs are fixed by getting the gears welded to the shaft, no more bolt shearing, the one thing i like about the 98 up sho's is that they are roomier than the previous gens, and are moderately quick, i almost got a 99 or 2000, can't remember the exact year, lol, that had about 80,000 and change on the odo, was black on tan and fully loaded for $4,500, it still even had the balance of the extended warranty, that was the lowest they would go because the payoff was like $4,900, so they would take a $400 hit to sell it at that price, but i wisely walked away from it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
97= GTP :D Then the second gen SHO. My GTP ran 15 flat bone stock and is pulling nearly 97 <PH through the quarter with just PCM/exhaust/serew pipe.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
You might also consider a Regal GS, same engine as the GTP.
My buddy has an 97 SHO in this driveway with a new 5k transmission and a dead engine - the dreaded cam failure. He doesn't want to drop any more money into it and the engines are real expensive.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Do yourself a favor and DO NOT by a POS Taurus of any kind any year. A guy at work had a SHO w/5 speed and had nothing but tranny problems.

My wife had a 97 DOHC V6 w/ auto and the tranny in it was junk.
You know it is bad when call the transmission shop and all you say is I have a 97 Taurus with transmission problems and their respones is "We se alot of Taurus and Sables with transmission problems regardless of years or milage"

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I am kind of leaning away from the Taurus now, I'm going to Billings (Biggest city in state), next weekend to look for cars. A GTP, Stratus R/T (or Eclipse GT) 5-speed, or a Newer Ranger would be nice. My brother used to have a 5-speed Stratus R/T and it was a pretty nice reliable car that was fun to drive.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I dunno. My friend had an 87 taurus. He beat the **** out of that car. The suspensiion was shot, tires bald, and he commuted over 100 miles a day in it and the thing refused to die. It was a very reliable car for him

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
People see alot of tauri in shops because there are a ton of them on the road. The transmission is a weak point, but overall the cars are very reliable.

LOLA said:
A guy at work had a SHO w/5 speed and had nothing but tranny problems.
That would be rare. The MTX5 is a strong unit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
GreenBird said:
People see alot of tauri in shops because there are a ton of them on the road. The transmission is a weak point, but overall the cars are very reliable.

That would be rare. The MTX5 is a strong unit.
Thank you.... Tauruses are good cars if well maintained.. But, yes, SHOs are expensive to maintain and parts get more and more rare everyday..

1 - 20 of 34 Posts