TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

So I have done a little research into buildiing a motor for these horsepower numbers searching other forums, mostly mustang, but wanted to get your guys imput. I will leave the question pretty general. What is the best way to get that kind of power in our cars without putting forced induction on it. Can this be done with heads, exhaust, internals, and the like? Also I am in cali so I have smog to deal with. Anyone in cali that has done something like this that is good to go through smog as well?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Not on a 2V. Forced induction is the way to go on a 2V. Even a 4.6L 4V it's hard to get those 350-400rwhp numbers without forced induction. Those are really high numbers for a NA motor, because you're talking about 450 hp at the crank which is more than what even a new Mustang puts out with a 5.0, 4V, variable valve timing and so many more innovations.

Better to plop down 3k on a supercharger setup, it's the only way to go for those kinds of numbers.

·
Super Moderator
17,051 Posts
It won't happen NA with the 2V, what you need to even get 300 at the wheels certainly won't pass smog. Save up for a blower and take it off during inspections.

Not on a 2V. Forced induction is the way to go on a 2V. Even a 4.6L 4V it's hard to get those 350-400rwhp numbers without forced induction. Those are really high numbers for a NA motor, because you're talking about 450 hp at the crank which is more than what even a new Mustang puts out with a 5.0, 4V, Direct Injection, and so many more innovations.

Better to plop down 3k on a supercharger setup, it's the only way to go for those kinds of numbers.
The 5.0 uses port injection, only the newest 2018 is getting dual(direct/port). The VVT plays the biggest role in the 400+ numbers.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kind of hp can stock internals take?

And lets say I do heads, nothing crazy just a little improvement, and internals that should not mess with smog if I take the supercharger off during smog testing correct?

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Plan on getting a set of Trick Flow heads- then add in what you can afford.

Whats your budget? And why stay NA?

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Plan on getting a set of Trick Flow heads- then add in what you can afford.

Whats your budget? And why stay NA?
I just like the idea of all motor. But if thats not possible I dont mind the blower.

As far as budget 3-5 grand. Of course cheaper if possible, but I dont mind spending the extra money for reliability. I want reliable power.

·
Super Moderator
17,051 Posts
What is it that really messes up the smog. Would cams do it?
Yes, you'll never pass the sniffer test with lumpy cams, and additionally you'll need longtube headers(not shorty or midlength) to take advantage of the scavenging the cams allow, and there is no way those will pass CA smog, exhaust alterations before the cats are a BIG no no.

The internals generally seem to be able can handle just up to 400 rwhp on boost before connecting rods perforate the block, 350ish is definitely safe and reliable. You'd want two tunes, one a NA tune for smog purposes, and another one with the supercharger installed.

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,265 Posts
My junk makes 348 at the wheels @ 6500rpm, with VP E-85.

But it has a big cam, big intake, big compression, big heads and big cubes.

Pump E-85 for fuel. Street driven, still. But why?

Any more HP and you lift the engine into a higher rpm range, that I was trying to stay out of. Trick Flow had an advertisement in Race Pages, (the NMCA magazine)
that 5.3L, 4.6 engine made 518 HP and 417 ft/lb torque @ 7000 rpm.

This probally will not pass a smog check.

I'll try to post the ad on the TCCOA facebook page.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Here-

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,083 Posts
OOOhhh! Impresive.

Nice 3" headers. Wow that's a lot of flow.

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
If Oscar gets his heap together and on the road we may see about the best an N/A 2v 4.6 with PI heads has to offer... :)

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,265 Posts
Thanks for pulling up that ad.

GM's HP and torque should be higher and at a higher RPM.

·
West Virginia Chapter Director /, MA Drag Race Te
2,643 Posts
OOOhhh! Impresive.

Nice 3" headers. Wow that's a lot of flow.
What you been smoking Monkey? 3" inch exhaust not 3" headers lol! Besides that's a nearly 50 cubic inch bored and stroked motor over a 4.6 so it should do something.

One bad ass set of cams in it too.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
I was with trunk monkey- I figured they were using 3" collectors.

·
2,643 Posts
I was with trunk monkey- I figured they were using 3" collectors.
They are 1 5/8 headers and may be 3" collectors. Then a 3" exhaust. They sure aren't 3" headers.

Regardless it made very good power.

Was that in a Mustang??

·
2,643 Posts
If Oscar gets his heap together and on the road we may see about the best an N/A 2v 4.6 with PI heads has to offer... :)
LOL!! I'll probably never see it ROFL!!!

I've done had one heart surgery and another associated surgery and have yet to see his done and mine's almost ready.

It would be interesting to see though.

·
Super Moderator
12,083 Posts
What you been smoking Monkey? 3" inch exhaust not 3" headers lol! Besides that's a nearly 50 cubic inch bored and stroked motor over a 4.6 so it should do something.

One bad ass set of cams in it too.
I'll never tell ya what I've been smoking :tongue:

Yea, yea, you know what I meant ... 3" exhaust. My bad. I didn't type it that way.

But yea, wow, those are beefy cams.

Theirs: .625/.625 lift, 252/256 .050 duration, 113 LSA
1MTNCAT: .550/.550 lift, 234/238 .050 duration, 113 LSA
Mine: .536/.540 lift, 228/235 .050 duration, 114 LSA

For yours I pulled the cams from your gallery/garage and looked up the Comp Stage 3 Stats. http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=969&sb=0

The difference is you guys are N/A, I've got a blower. :D

1 - 20 of 76 Posts