TCCoA Forums banner

looking for a little cheep throttle responce.

2K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  _95badbird 
#1 ·
Hi, even though my new 4.6 tbird is way faster than my last car, i cant feel it yet (in first gear) because i'm used to a stick shift. So i'm looking for a bit more throttle response, but i'm on a budget. I was thinking about going to a junk yard and pulling a bigger TB off a truck or something, and polishing it and putting it on my bird. Maby a tune would also be a good cheep way to get the tires spinning?

#2 ·
I did the basic jmod (shift kit, kinda) and that really seemed to wake my car up quick. All it is is replace accumulator springs and drilling the valve body, but it makes the shifts and the response from the motor to the wheels seem incredible. I believe the total cost in under $100. At least, that's what the guy I had do it for me charged.

#3 ·
a tune for 93 octane, along with a new mustang maf, and a 70-75mm TB will definitely increase throttle response when you gun it initially....but after that, there are no benefits of the larger throttle body, since the stock one is not a restriction on a stock engine

#6 ·
Marauder torque converter would help to, not so much for throttle response but it'll get it moving quicker

#13 ·
while going with shorter gears will increase throttle response and vehicle acceleration in all gears, its not exactly the cheapest thing to do....to install a fully-rebuilt trak-lock (assuming the car didnt come with one) with new shorter gears, is likely to cost upwards of $1000 when its all said and done

#28 ·
won't cost that much if you do it yourself, and use a few used parts.(if, you have all the correct tools).
I have a total of:
`$75 for used 4.10 gear
`$30 for the ratek bearing kit
`$free mustang t-lock
`$whatever gear oil, friction modifier, and rtv cost
`$picked through the best clutches for the t-lock..again free.

So for around 150-175, you could install a gear and a mustang t-lock(not everyone would go this route though)

#14 ·
to get more throttle response shift the lever into 1, then 2, then O/D off and then press the OD button.

The car's more responsive.

Check under the airbox and pull that stupid air intake silencer.

#25 ·
Best bang for your buck mods:

Chip from SCT
JMOD the trans and put a trans cooler on it
Swap the gears in the rear
Dynomax exhaust kit
Pull the air silencer and put a K&N on it

Bar-none, the best mods for the dollar, highly recommend that your first $1200 be spent there and it will make the biggest difference. I'd hold off on the Mustang TC for when you do a PI swap or something like that later on down the road.

Pete

#30 ·
I must say my first gear change was kinda scary without anyone showing me how.....but now, its an easy task. My next thing to do is a tranny rebuild....again, kinda scared, but at the same time, excited that I'll finally have done it.

bleh, back on topic..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.