TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it is official now, my wife and I need a new car. Last week a person backed into our GTP at a restaurant and ran from the accident. Witnesses saw the truck that hit the car and reported it. I got confirmation to get the GTP repaired yesterday. I took the car to the dealership this morning to get repaired. That will be the last time I or my wife ever drive the GTP.

A tech took the car home for lunch and was broad sided. The crash forced him into a light pole. So basicilly instead of the car needing the rear bumper piece replaced, it now needs a new front end and passenger side doors. The car suffered frame damage as well. It is a real mess, I seriously doubt the car will be repaired, I don't want it if it is anyway. Nobody was injured in the accident.

My wife and I are debating on what to get, currently the dealership has given us a white Escalade to drive as a replacement for the GTP. There is not really a car out there that she and I can agree on currently. The dealership is going to us a $7000.00 off an agreed price because of the tech using my car for personal use, if we decide to purchase something from GM. Even if we don't purchase a car from them, they will be forking over to the cost of the new car.

I seriously doubt it will be a Ford, the only thing that Ford makes that interests either of us is the Explorer and if that is what we are going to look at, I would rather get the V8 Trailblazer. So anyway we have some shopping to do. The one thing I can guarantee is that it won't be a Japanese or Korean make.

Enough of my rant!

·
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2003, the EXT model has the option of the 5.3L V8.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
That thing needs a v8.

you didn't say what year....but I'd hope $7000 is above what they could sell a similar GTP for.

I'd say the WRX, or an SHO since it seems you want a 4 door, all weather car that's got some "get up and go" both come in 5-speed or auto, although the SHO auto needs more attention.

·
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My GTP was a 2000 sedan. A gtp comparable to mine are going for around $20,000.00 CDN. Since the way insurance works here, my insurance covers the car. I don't know what my insurance plans on doing with the car, I hope that they total it, otherwise, I am trading it in after it is repaired. I don't want a car that has suffered structural damage.

The $7000.00 that the dealership is offering is for a replacement, if I buy a car from them or a check for $5000.00 if elsewhere. The reason being is that I was extremely disapointed that:
1) A tech used my car for personal use, I did not authorize any road tests or such with my car. There was a waiver in which I did not sign, hence my car should have remained at the dealership!
2) The dealership did not inform me of the accident. I heard about it through a third party after a significant time after the accident had occured( 3 hours ). That should have been a first priority after the dealership knew of the accident.

After about 3 hours of pretty much a one way conversation with the owner of the dealership and service manager and the threat of a public lawsuit for the above reasons, I got the $7000.00 dollar offer or a check for $5000.00 depending on where I intend to purchase a replacement.

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
so they'll knock 7K off the tag of a new car from them (or the check). Plus the insurance company is still paying you too?

If I understood that correclty, you should be able to put down a healthy down payment on just about anything they have there.

Its still a hastle that could have been avoided though.

Kinda reminds me of that ordeal a while back where some SVT tech took some lady's '03 cobra for a spin and then bragged about it online.

·
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You understood it right! I just have to wait for the insurance company to decide the future of the car. I will know on Tuesday on what happens with the car.

·
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE

The gtp is totalled! The insurance company and I are bickering over what the car is worth, they offered $18,000 CDN for it. I walked away, used same year Grand Prix GT's are going for that here.

Don't suggest that I change insurance companies because the only choices I have is SGI or SGI. Hopefully we have something ironed by next week. Still haven't decided what to replace it with yet though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts