TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i'm gathering parts up to do a whole top end swap. i got some pi heads i found a manifold that i think will do just fine for my application as i'm staying n/a. as well as a maf. also will be getting bigger injectors.

so i was looking around and went to bbks sight and found this. its a 78mm t/b. it seems like a decently priced one as most places charge over 100 for the elbow and 100 for the actual t/b valve. so anyone have any others they suggest or any wrong with this bbk unit? its 250 for this unit

here's the manifold i like
manifold

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
IIRC correctly the victor jr loses power from down low and gains some up at the top end, like most other attepts at a good aftermarket manifold for the 4.6

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
you can forget about that manifold unless you're revving to 8000 RPMs

also, you realize you wont be able to swap the maf nor injectors with out a tune right? (maf's are not calibrated to injectors, nor vice-versa)

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Will the intake elbow bolt up to that manifold? It doesn't look like it.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
MMR makes an adapter to bolt the oem or aftermarket replacement elbow to the edelbrock this will be the route Im going when "one day" I hope to try the edelbrock.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MMR makes an adapter to bolt the oem or aftermarket replacement elbow to the edelbrock this will be the route Im going when "one day" I hope to try the edelbrock.
why would i need another part it's meant for the 4.6 sohc

Will the intake elbow bolt up to that manifold? It doesn't look like it.
i would hope it is meant for the 4.6
You have long tube headers coming in the mail?
literally no but a have a local friend selling them to me so basically on their way i just need to go hand him the cash and drive em home.

you can forget about that manifold unless you're revving to 8000 RPMs

also, you realize you wont be able to swap the maf nor injectors with out a tune right? (maf's are not calibrated to injectors, nor vice-versa)
yes thats why im gathering the parts to do it all in one shot to save money on tuning plus it wouldn't matter if i get a new manifold if it wasn't opened up upstream. the reason im looking at that manifold it's the cheapest metal based manifold it's also a very trust worthy brand and its relatively inexpensive compared to trickflow or any other manifold i've seen. this one is also supposed to work with pi heads as it says its meant from 96-04. i will probably contact them to double check that though.

·
3,734 Posts
why would i need another part it's meant for the 4.6 sohc

i would hope it is meant for the 4.6
Have you looked at the underside port of the intake elbow and look at the main port of the Edelbrock manifold? You would have noticed the ports are two different shapes and the bolt locations are different. They are also two different sizes. The Edelbrock manifold is good if you want to put a carburetor on a 4.6 even though it has injector bosses.

·
3,734 Posts
you should just get a typhoon intake manifold....its all metal, cheaper, and you wont be able to put together a motor to fully utilize the edelbrock's capabilities
A single plane intake like the Edelbrock will hurt your low end. That is why intake manifolds like the Typhoon and the OEM PI intake would out perform an intake like the Edelbrock. That Edelbrock intake is okay if you plan on spinning past 7500 RPM and plan on using a manual transmission.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you should just get a typhoon intake manifold....its all metal, cheaper, and you wont be able to put together a motor to fully utilize the edelbrock's capabilities
how much is a typhoon intake manifold i dont wat to spend over 400 bucks an a intake manifold. are these what your talking about?
http://www.rpmoutlet.com/musv8dynotune.htm

Have you looked at the underside port of the intake elbow and look at the main port of the Edelbrock manifold? You would have noticed the ports are two different shapes and the bolt locations are different. They are also two different sizes. The Edelbrock manifold is good if you want to put a carburetor on a 4.6 even though it has injector bosses.
well that's lame.i did notice they where different shapes but i didnt think it would be a problem the bolt hole line up is though. thanks for the heads up

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
A single plane intake like the Edelbrock will hurt your low end. That is why intake manifolds like the Typhoon and the OEM PI intake would out perform an intake like the Edelbrock. That Edelbrock intake is okay if you plan on spinning past 7500 RPM and plan on using a manual transmission.
why are you quoting me?? I know all this stuff already :confused:

·
5,650 Posts
literally no but a have a local friend selling them to me so basically on their way i just need to go hand him the cash and drive em home.
Hmm...maybe you should do some research about long tubes on a 4.6L in an MN12...

·
Registered
623 Posts
He needs to do some research period.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
how much is a typhoon intake manifold i dont wat to spend over 400 bucks an a intake manifold. are these what your talking about?

Good luck. You might be able to find a used Typhoon under $400

I would just throw a stock PI intake on with the aluminum X-over and call it a day

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
The edelbrock isnt just for a carbed motor. It would be good in an maximun HP NA 4.6L you would need the correct motor and drivetrain and motor to get you to the sweet spot. It would also be good for a high boosted 4.6 or a stroker.....It has potential and for a few hundred dollars I could be worth while. Many guys have ran the RR and Edelbrock short runner intakes on FI turbo setups with good results on street cars. Also like i said just because the edelbrock is setup for a standard carb flange dosent mean it stops you from bolting it on. MMr makes an adapter plate to bolt the oem elbow to the edelbrock which means you can use the oem linkage oem elbow oem egr oem iac oem TB but you will need different fuel rails. One guy even modded the aftermarket rails to use his oem regulator.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for all the advice. i guess i will go with the plastic pi for now until i find something i want that will do what i want to do

·
Registered
518 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts