TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I apologize, this is a mustang question, the corral and every other mustang site was not really helpful. I busted my Overdrive band again, and realize I just need to upgrade to a bigger better AOD. I want to do brackett racing and know I need to stay automatic for that, otherwise I am not very consistant. Anyway, my goals (whether or not I will ever reach them I do not know) are 500 rwhp.... Any suggestions on brands, where I can look to get more information, etc, would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance!

Amanda

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Let's see if I can get a start on this... Best way to keep the OD band alive is not to shift into OD at the track or when you're at WOT. Leave it in D at the track. A '92 AOD should already have the 2" wide OD band. As far as high HP building, you don't really need a one piece input shaft (keep in mind a lot of people will try to sell you one anyway). The one piece shafts create more heat and lose you top end HP and gas mileage. They do this by keeping the TC unlocked all the time. Use the tech articles, especially the Overdrive 101 article as a guide. Much of that still applies to AODs. Add a trnasmission cooler if you haven't already. And use Mercon V fluid - it's not that expensive but it does handle the heat better. If you come back with more questions I'll try to help.

Tom

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually know pretty much everything you just told me (except about the input shafts) I need a new tranny, completely, this would be the 3rd rebuild on this AOD, and I don't want to take the time to do it again. I'd like to just start fresh. Thanks for the advice though.

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
i saw a dealer in CA selling built AOD's on ebay for $950. came shipped with 4r70w wide gears and a shift kit already installed, and possibly a manual valve body. keep an eye out for it.

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
I wonder why NC on Ebay's AOD low gear set tranny's are 100 dollars more than the wide gear ones. That is a dang good price for a built AOD. I think I'll e-mail him for more detailed info one it :)
-Thomas

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I asked PJ (PJ4pt2L) who up until today was my boyfriend what he thought of that tranny on eBay and said it would probably chirp every gear and not be very streetable and to go with a Lentech. Honestly I think the price is great on the AOD on ebay, has anyone purchased one though? I'd like feedback from someone who has one if possible...

thanks guys!

Amanda

1 - 9 of 9 Posts