TCCoA Forums banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thanks for all the info Greg!

I'm really looking forward to hearing the time correction on this Pioneer that I bought. I've never (knowingly) listened to a time corrected system before.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,525 Posts
I bet Oscar would have some valued opinions... though he's probably better off not knowing what the site turned into! Lol

Reactions: Trunk Monkey

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Put on something you know well, and has a well separated stage. I use older Rush, but whatever works for you. :)

Start with numbers (may be milliseconds, may be feet) just short of where your ears are, and dial it from there.

When you get it right, you'll hear it suddenly come into focus. :)

It basically lets you adapt the shitty speaker locations you're stuck with, and make it sound like they're the proper distance away.

Fader/Balance controls can come close, but those change volume, not timing, and we can really hear phase differences in timing.

I'd make a new disk of your favorite songs, spend some time setting it up, and then go find your favorite curvy road. 👍

BTW: I'd avoid certain songs that might make you drive hard; especially with a 500HP+car, OK?

:D

Metallica, Megadeth, Scorpions, (esp. Blackout,) Disturbed "Down with the Sickness"; those cause Jelousy (I want one!), road rage (what do you mean my $60k mustang can't keep up?!), and License-ending tickets.

Also, proper respect is always a good thing; After extended sessions of Eminem or Beastie Boys, you may feel this is the right way handle getting pulled over for excessive speed:

Battle Weary Patrol Officer: "Do you know how fast you were going, Bwoah?"

Music-Affected Driver: "Faster than that POS Brick you're driving can go; I stopped for the Blue Lights I saw Way Back There...What is that, a Dodge?"

Disparaging his carry weapon, looks, and lineage is also a bad idea; resist the urge to show off your CCP-covered $4500 Sig with gold inlays.

:)

I'd stick with nice wholesome songs, like Britney, Taylor, and Billie Eilish.
🤣
(j/k)

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
I bet Oscar would have some valued opinions... though he's probably better off not knowing what the site turned into! Lol

I need to send him another email... :)

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
"... avoid certain songs that might make you drive hard; especially with a 500HP+car, OK?"

Words of wisdom right there ... words of wisdom! (y)

But yeah, the Pioneer has an auto time delay calibrate feature. You just hang the microphone from the driver's headrest and hit go. It takes about six minutes to calibrate and you're done.

I'm currently on hold waiting on parts. I've ordered a blueprint for a custom sub box which should take about a week and a half to get back. I'll post more pictures once I get back into this project.

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Settled on the sealed box design. I'm going to go with two JL Audio 10W1v3-4's.

For the sub amp the JL Audio JD500/1 with subs wired in parallel to present a 2 ohm load to the amplifier. Subs firing to the rear.

·
Super Moderator
9,525 Posts
Looks like a nice amp. I was considering replacing mine with a higher RMS to keep the distortion down but had a hard time finding something small enough. I might give that one a try, you'll need to let me know what you think of it when you get it all together. :)

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Thanks. I'll let you know. BTW, that amp was $20 less from Crutchfield than what Amazon was charging.

Reactions: Rodeo Joe

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
If the op brings up Amazon being a ripoff, it's not Off Topic, Joe. :)

I've noticed significant differences by shopping on a VPN without logging in, and after I have prices, and all, logging in and placing the order.

I've done it side by side, and my prices are cheaper if I'm not logged in. :(

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Wow, what a crock of sh!t! I'll have to try that on different browsers and see if there's a price difference.

Back on topic. I was looking at this and realized that it's a mono-bass set up. (I know, I'm not paying attention!). Is this common for sub boxes ... to set up a mono configuration vs. stereo?

I was looking at this video and never realized that bass is essentially mono and stereo bass can cause problems. You guys have any experience with or thoughts on this? I'm completely new to the subwoofer scene and am learning on the fly. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Think about it as wavelength.
20Hz is 17.15m.

That's why one sub is enough. :)

230Hz is about 1.5m

1.5 meters is about the distance between your rear speakers, so above that frequency, you get staging.

Below that, we just aren't made to do that, lol.

In fact, our ears are about 6" apart, so it's 2250Hz or so before we get real stereo sound, with phasing differences.

:)
Chef Voice: "And that, Children, is why Guitars sound good."

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Thanks Greg. (y)

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
The subs and amp are sitting in the garage. Still waiting on the custom subwoofer box blueprint. No rush though I've got plenty to do in the meantime.

I'm SLOWLY making my way around the vehicle sound treating everything. I got the new power cord run and buttoned up the drivers side fender well. I made a new penetration in the sheet metal just below the E-brake cable. It's a damn good thing I pulled the airbag sensor out of that location before drilling because for sure I'd have pierced it with the drill bit! I've also run the new speaker wire through the driver's side door boot. So that side's done.

·
Super Moderator
9,525 Posts
Had a little help eh? :)

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
Soundskins brand - I'll have to note that for both the Dakota and the Cougar. (Dakota needs it worse, it's a work truck ... )

RwP

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Really good stuff. But like all sound treatment materials crazy expensive! 🤑🤑🤑 I didn't do a direct price comparison but I'm pretty sure it costs less than Dynamat. Unlike Dynamat you can buy it direct from SoundSkins without having to go through a mark-up middle-man ... I mean a dealer, like Dynamat.

I got the Pro Plus Workshop Kit version. It costs more than the four roll Mega kit but the price per square foot is less overall.

There's also a light version. SoundSkins | SoundSkins Global | #ThinkBiggerThinkBetter

It ships out of California and took a week to arrive.

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Today:
  • Got the Amp power wire routed to the trunk.
  • Replaced the left front splash guard and tire (Reassembly from running the power wire)
  • Routed the drivers side door speaker wire to the trunk
  • Sound treated the passenger's side door and reassembled
  • Ran new speaker wire through the door boot and back to the trunk from the passenger's side door
  • Sound treated the inside sheet metal under the rear seat side windows. - Exterior sheet metal in this location treated yesterday.
  • Started sound treating the rear deck - from the bottom. Over head work sucks!

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Couple more pictures.

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Finished treating the underside of the rear deck today. Did I mention over head work sucks?

Once I got that done I dropped the headliner and discovered what a half-ass mess Ford had done with the roof liner. No wonder it sounded like a drum when I tapped on the roof.

I pulled the factory crap out and put some quality sound treatment up. I didn't need to take the headliner all the way out of the car. I just laid the seats back and put some cardboard on the seats for the headliner to rest on and worked around it. Did I mention overhead work sucks?

41 - 60 of 95 Posts