TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ordered edelbrock part numbers 7811 and 7814 both of which advancedautoparts claimed was the proper fit for my 5.0 302 however 7811 was too short and no matter how much I pulled it taught, even lifting the car off the jack pulling so hard, the center of the camshaft sprocket wouldn't make past the camshaft dowel. I looked up the part number and supposedly this is for 84 and older 302's so then I ordered edelbrock 7814 supposedly for 89-95 302's and it was even shorter than 7811. Can anybody recommend a good double roller timing chain that fits our cars, my car has been apart for over a month already due to frozen waterpump bolts and a fan clutch that wouldn't come off. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well those dont come with the sprockets and I don't believe they are double roller, should it be different than a mustang chain?
Edit: oh ok wait I see them under "timing sets" thank you

·
Super Moderator
7,733 Posts
The only difference between those 2 part numbers you listed is one has additional keyways to advance or retard the cam timing. Other than that, they are the same size, and both are correct for any Ford Windsor motor ever made, including yours, so if it doesn't fit, you are doing it wrong. I suspect the problem is you are trying to install the cam gear with the crank gear already installed. That won't work because if the crank gear is fully seated, you would have to stretch the chain to get it over the cam. Instead slide the crank gear out a bit, line everything up, and slide both cam and crank gears the rest of the way on together.

Reactions: Zep5.0
1 - 4 of 4 Posts