TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here customized the LED tailights on the back of our cars? I want to hear your ideas...

I have two thoughts, for the rear end of my 95:

1. Adding more bulbs and a circuit for real sequential blinking tailights, like on early Cougars.

2. Replacement of the LED strip with a small neon strip.

I'm going to the boneyard this weekend to pick up a couple used ones to crack open so I need some ideas and thoughts.

Thanks!

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I am going to be working on a stock replacement this fall, and by the spring, hope to have a custom board availible.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I was going to experiment with neon, but more important things came up. It's still an option for me, but I probably won't mess with it until the winter months...sequentals would be cool if it could be figured out...

Greenbird, how about rewiring the LED's into 2 sections (inner and outer) for use with sequentals? They sequence 3 bulbs so the corner bulb would be the third light in the sequence. Should be possible with some parallel/series wiring I would think...just need to have 2 discreet circuits per housing...possible?

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Blown306 said:
I was going to experiment with neon, but more important things came up. It's still an option for me, but I probably won't mess with it until the winter months...sequentals would be cool if it could be figured out...

Greenbird, how about rewiring the LED's into 2 sections (inner and outer) for use with sequentals? They sequence 3 bulbs so the corner bulb would be the third light in the sequence. Should be possible with some parallel/series wiring I would think...just need to have 2 discreet circuits per housing...possible?
Very possible. That could be done without many problems.

Stock-like:
Appers stock, except it will function with the corners, and have two knobs to regulate bightness. this way at both "parking lights" and "braking" the LEDs can be the same brightness as the corners.

Custom:
Only the turn-signal function will be be different. It will light inner to outer bulbs like "knight-rider", including ther corner light.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very cool greenbird. I'm definitly interested in your custom board if you get it worked out. I'll have to check in with you every now and then. I'm going to start looking at them shortly and I'll post what I come up with in the mean time.

I want to retain the car's stock look as much as possible, but I never liked that the LEDs don't operate with the brake lights or turn signals. In my ideal world, the entire taillight panel would light for the brake lights (at the same brightness), would dim for use as running taillights, and blink sequentially as turn signals. The only way I know how to do this is to drill holes in the trunklid tail panel and back of LED taillights to add bulbs.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
It would be very difficult to make the existing LED's blink sequentially with the turn signals. There are 20 LED's that light up in 4 groups of 5 LED's, but they are spread out among the 20. They don't light up 5 in a row.

It would also be difficult to re-wire the circuit board to do this due to the lack of space under the circuit board to run jumper wires.

The best and simplest method would be to cut a line of holes on the backside of the taillense housing, and glue in some small LED's or bulb sockets, and do the wiring between the trunk lid steel and the taillense housing.

Notice in this picture how close the circuit board is to the bottom

This picture shows the housing cut open, and the LED/Reflector removed.
The area a few inches above the cutout would be the ideal place for new lights

·
Registered
735 Posts
DEI has a 5 LED scanning light assy...i removed the rear brake lights...took the tops off the led's...the mushroom piece...flush mounted and hot glued them in spaced apart in each taillight and then reversed the other side so that they scanned torwards each other only when the car alarm is on. Just wire your ground to GWA on your alarm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts