TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for some lowering springs but all I can find are for V6 cars and mine is a 5.0. Can someone point me in the right direction or advise me on what springs would work for my car. I don't want radical, I'm just looking for a SC type stance. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mark

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Why not cut sport springs? Drop it an inch anymore than a small proper cut is bad. People hate on cut sports and some like them enough.
Op wanted sc style stance. What better than sport springs. I wont Im going to pickk up another set to cut for my drop

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought about sport springs but was thinking they would be hard to find. Do the 96/97 sport have the lowered springs. I had thought of cutting my stock springs but wasn't sure how safe cut springs are and how the ride would be.

Mark

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
I thought about sport springs but was thinking they would be hard to find. Do the 96/97 sport have the lowered springs. I had thought of cutting my stock springs but wasn't sure how safe cut springs are and how the ride would be.

Mark
Search it on here the worst than can happen when done right is that you dont like them or cut too much. The majik code on the door is JJJJ spring. You might see another 2 letter combo but as long as you see JJ youre good. Or look for the 16's and sport brakes. I got mine from a low mileage rust free 94 SC. I havent cut them as I want to change rim/tire combo.

I like the ride and if they got a bit stiffer and lower I could live with it. But then again I want 17"s and I ride on 16"s now.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Sport springs actually sit a little bit higher than regular LX springs...SC just looks lower because of the side skirts and rear bumper.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
eibachs! cut springs are ok but I don't recommend doing it yourself can be very dangerous and a huge pain in the a$$. Also does not ride as well.

Look at the link in my sig for the stance on my 1.5in drop (springs have settled) might be too low tho if your looking for more stock look.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Sport springs actually sit a little bit higher than regular LX springs...SC just looks lower because of the side skirts and rear bumper.
Yep, it often seems to be the case as the stiffer Sport springs resist the urge to settle with age some better I suspect. Below is a post from another thread, in it are two picks of my '92, before and after spring cutting with same wheels / tires.

... etc ...

My '92 Sport stock in 2007 with stock uncut JJJJ springs just after I installed the 16X7s with 225/60-16s.

Same car, same wheels after cuitting 1 full coil in front (I did it in two steps to creep up on what I wanted) and 5/8 coil in back after "careful calculations" (SWAG). I cut from bottom of both, in rear I placed pigtail end of spring towards wheel side of LCA spring bucket.

It's a little stiffer in spring rate, not objectionable. It's about 1.5 - 2 inches lower.
Take a plastic ruler and line it uo with the lower pinstripe for a graphic assist. Might be closer to 2-1/2"?

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Crystal thats really helpful pics and info as my LX currently sits as high as the first pic with stock SC springs. These things lifted my car relative to LX springs. The gap between the tires and fender tells me its not too low for my taste. Do you ever scrape with it lower?

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Yep, it often seems to be the case as the stiffer Sport springs resist the urge to settle with age some better I suspect. Below is a post from another thread, in it are two picks of my '92, before and after spring cutting with same wheels / tires.
Oh really ?? I thought cutting them was a linear application, all of the math works, right ??? But they settle, so that means there are less active coils .. hmm, werd, now they are "resisting the urge" LOL

Yes the Sport / Super Coupe springs sit 1/2" incher than a LX, its in the Ford shop manual under the height specifications, the SC are taller, has more to do with the length of springs than anything else.

Which was something Ive wondered about since around 1996 - since most spring manufacturers list them under SC / V8 LX applications, with a xx inch drop, are they meaning over the SC or the LX height ?? Because the same springs on either car will drop it to the same level - but overall drop may be more on the Super Coupe, unless thats what they based their listed measurement off .. anybody know ?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I compared the rear springs from my SC and from my LX and the SC spring is shorter than the LX Spring. I know both springs are stock. It is possible that the SC spring sagged some, but the LX spring was from a 94 and the SC Spring was from a 95. Crystal, how is the ride of the cut springs compared to the un-cut spring.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Oh really ?? I thought cutting them was a linear application, all of the math works, right ??? But they settle, so that means there are less active coils .. hmm, werd, now they are "resisting the urge" LOL
Yes, "resist the urge" as in a stiffer rate coil spring is able to support more weight with less deflection than a softer rate coil spring.
A normally 20" long 500 lb/in spring supporting 500 pounds will compress 1 inch to 19" OAL ...
... while a normally 20" long 100 lb/in coil spring supporting 500 pounds will compress 5 inches to 15" OAL ...
... and the 100 lb/in coil spring will fatique quicker (that's like earlier) under those conditions than the 500 lb/in coil spring.

In the simple example I used in another thread to try and explain how shortening a coil spring by cutting also increased it's rate to some poster who got rather pi55y about it and in effect told me to kiss off for all my efforts, it was linear because I didn't go into variable rate coils.

But cutting a variable rate coil will also increase it's rate for the same reason, but the change in rate as the spring is compressed will vary depending on which end of the coil is cut how much and where that relates to any changes in wire diameter if such exists.

Math works still but there are more plug ins. I wasn't then sure that the poster referred to above could follow a simple example, much less a more complicated one involving additional variables. He later indicated he couldn't, so it's just as well.

LX springs have a lower rate than Sport springs which are of larger wire diameter and fewer coils and thus "shorter", being the torsion bars they really are .... are stiffer. Most T-Bird coil springs are even wound of a slightly tapered wire diameter with slightly smaller wire on the end with closer coils that close up first under compression, in effect shortening the spring and increasing the effective remaining rate of the spring as a whole.

Even variable rate coil springs with the same wire diameter the whole way have some closer coils on one end that many call "softer" coils. They aren't softer however, they are as stiff as the rest, they just close up first and the effect is a transition to a shorter spring as the wider spaced coils "are" the spring now. Ford varied both wire diameter and coil spacing to achieve variable rate coils on these cars.

Sport Spring Rates:
Front: 349-403 lb./in.
Rear: 509-637 lb./in

V8 LX Spring Rates:
Front: 270-330 lb./in.
Rear: 361-501 lb./in.

Using the rates 349-403 lb./in. as an example .... when totally relaxed, with no weight, that spring has a rate of 349 lb/in. Say we have a press with a scale underneath measuruing force applied. We place the spring in the press and we press enough to compress it 1". It will take 349 pounds to compress it that 1 inch. We continue pressing it, recording the scale reading after each additional inch of travel. When that spring is compressed it's last remaining inch of travel to coil bind or stack position, it'll take an additional 403 pounds for that last inch.

Along it's length, if the wire were measured it would measure 0.594" diameter at the end with the closest coil spacing for a soft initial rate for ride quality. As one continued towards the other end, the wire grows to about 0.659" diameter.

As we compressed the spring, not all coils stacked up at the same time. The end with the closest coils relaxed that are wound of smallest wire diameter were the first to stack up and after that, they acted as a solid spacer. The spring rate went up at that point. If several stacked at the same time, the rate climbed suddenly. If however, the stack up occurred over several inches of travel, the transition from 349 lb/in to 403 lb/in occurred more gradual and that is what you will see with the Ford T Bird front Sport springs.

:cool:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Crystal thats really helpful pics and info as my LX currently sits as high as the first pic with stock SC springs. These things lifted my car relative to LX springs. The gap between the tires and fender tells me its not too low for my taste. Do you ever scrape with it lower?
No, but I'm careful where and how I go across transitions like into 7-11 for lotto and coffee. I have another picture I'll post, it's of my '92 Sport shortly after I bought it from the original owner (lady up the road in Greenville). I bought it Oct 06. It has the original 15" wheels and 215/65-15 tires she had on it in this picture.

It shows a huge "fender gap", partly because the tires were smaller some. She had near 130,000 on it when I purchased it, they don't look "sagged" or "fatigued" to me.

I added the 16x7s first in later Spring 2007 and then later on I cut the springs, so no pics of 15" and cut springs .... but you can see what lead me to do something. I use a 215/65-15s as a spare now as they fit in the well and I was short one space saver..... :D

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit says a 215/65-15 is 26.00 inches diameter ...
... and that a 225/60-16 that I have on it now is 26.62 inches diameter.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
In the simple example I used in another thread to try and explain how shortening a coil spring by cutting also increased it's rate to some poster who got rather pi55y about it and in effect told me to kiss off for all my efforts, it was linear because I didn't go into variable rate coils.
I believe it is the same person

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I will be going with the same drop Crystal. That looks perfect

1 - 18 of 18 Posts