TCCoA Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am not sure yet, but I have been thinking for a few months now, about throwing in the towel on the world of MN12s. I like these cars, I like mine, but I have grown tired of spending money on this car. This is bird number three for me, and I think I am just ready for something else. Maybe something "slow and boring" that is good on gas. I have been focusing on other areas of my life, and the car just contiues to take a back seat. The problem is that I am starting to consider just driving it until it is dead. I am hesitant to do this, since, obviously, the car would just rot away and turn to junk. It really is still pretty decent, I think I have just lost interest. Granted I could be saying the exact oposite a few months from now, but I think I am just ready for something that is good solid reliable transportation, easy on fuel, cheap small tires, etc.

This car needs new exhaust and cats and oxygen sensors, drivers door hinge needs a rebuild or replacement, I just found today that the metal above and below the striker has cracked, needs U-joints....I have a new mark VIII single piece shaft for it, and the hinge deal isn't that expensive, but all of the little things really do add up, and I need to spend money elseware-not on the car. Plus I have just lost my motivation. I think really it is that after years and years of throwing tons of money into these cars, and for what? To look cool to go fast? Just not into it anymore.

I don't know that I am ready to sell yet, but I am really considering it. Thinking about a taurus, sable, focus, small ranger, etc.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with a 4cyl 5spd ranger. Mine has taken a beating since I bought it new and always comes back asking for more.
Alan

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah those two are basically what I am thinking....or a taurus as new as 2006 as old as 99 or so. I just want something decent, and I would like to get away from the whole "money pit" thing...focus on saving up to buy some land or a house or something.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Just swap your bird for another car even trade til you end up with something you like. I hear you on compounding repairs. I have a few myself. Sounds like the door problem needs some skilled help. I hope another owner treats this one well as you did if you get rid of it, its a cool different car. I think if I wasn't in a bird I'd have totaled this car in an accident but the handling really saved itself. It has been redeemed itself, this is my personal reason for paying for parts which is its main expense and far less than any newer car either paid for or not. Out here the taxes on new cars suck hard. 80s ride out here are seriously popular, anything 80s. But if you can't get your problems sorted a focus from a long time ago is what I'd get, parts are cheaper. Or even better a Hyundai, cheap cars man will get you from point A to B and wont cost a lot. An older accent maybe. If you want fuel sipper and the cheapest way to do it, Honda civic. THese are just the obvious choices for cars. The 4 cyl/5 speed combos will always do good on gas relative to trucks.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I am not really against "other" cars, but, I'm pretty much a die hard ford guy ;) and I work at a ford dealership....other people drive non fords who work there, it's not an issue or anything, but I wouldn't feel right about it. I just don't want to end up neglecting the car and it ending up a total POS...at the moment, it's still quite nice, but it will take a certain financial commitment to keep it where it is, or make it better, and I just don't really have that in me anymore.

I really like Taurus wagons lately...affordable, good on gas, comfy enough, not as nice as the bird, but good enough, major utility, the DOHC motor has some decent get-up to it.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Im with Alan, I vote ranger. Super cheap,great on gas and will take a beating

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I had a 99 Taurus with the 04 engine swapped into it. I bought the car for $150 with a knocking engine, the engine for $290 shipped to me, and the $120 MSD RPM switch and bam, I had a nice running little car that I had to put a rack in. Thunderbird sport wheels actually make a 96+ Taurus look attractive. I sold it for about $3k the other day and the people were like whoa this is way faster than my 01 Windstar. I vote older taurus, you can find them running and cheap, or blown up and cheaper!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I had a 99 Taurus with the 04 engine swapped into it. I bought the car for $150 with a knocking engine, the engine for $290 shipped to me, and the $120 MSD RPM switch and bam, I had a nice running little car that I had to put a rack in. Thunderbird sport wheels actually make a 96+ Taurus look attractive. I sold it for about $3k the other day and the people were like whoa this is way faster than my 01 Windstar. I vote older taurus, you can find them running and cheap, or blown up and cheaper!
I would have to agree with you on this. I have a baby to be born within the next 2 weeks(this will be #3) and we needed the room in all our cars for 3 kids/carseats. So........ yesterday I finally broke down, manned up, and bought my wife a Windstar, which will leave me with her 01 Duratec powered Sable wagon, and the Tbird is going back up for sale. The Duratec is a pretty powerful motor. 205HP/185ftlbs tq, for my year at least. That thing actually moves for being how big it is. You can find them cheap. My suggestion though...... Find one with a Ax4N trans. They are slightly more reliable than the Ax4S, and much better than the ATX's.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
My GF has an '03 Taurus wagon. It's an SEL, has every option except sunroof (and I'm not sure you could actually get a sunroof on the wagons). It is a super comfy car, gets about 28 mpg on the highway with the DOHC, and has 180k on the clock. Previous owners had to have the transmission replaced, but that was almost 100k ago and it's shifts / performs really well.

When she bought the car, I was a little leery of it at first, mainly because of the high miles, but man, I really dig that car now.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Im with Alan, I vote ranger. Super cheap,great on gas and will take a beating
I had a 2002 Ranger XLT single cab, its about as practicle as a Corvette. There isn't enough room for even two people.

You really can't beat a 2002+ Taurus for room and comfort. The DOHC Duratec does pretty good for what it is. The Vulcan 3.0 is a sturdy engine, I have had two myself. I HIGHLY suggest any thing 2002 or newer for the Taurus. The 2000-2001 early GEN4s had small rotors like the bid but were upgraded to 11.6" in 2002 (same size brakes as the Mark VIII.) The transmissions were also better after 2001. The AX4N is a pretty smooth transmission.

Yes, there are mods around for the Taurus, check out my site.. http://www.fordthunderbird.net to see for yourself. I think my Sable was pretty good for what it was.

Don't mess with an old econobox Focus, get the Taurus!

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
My suggestion though...... Find one with a Ax4N trans.
I agree with this as well. I have to admit I do like the 2000+ body more than 96-99. I am keeping the Bird forever. It is cheap as hell to maintain and it will not break. It may not look like it belongs in a museum, but people always ask me about it and it pulls OK mileage. It will be better when I fix my rich condition. My cousin and I are working on something to help us increase the mileage considerably in our cars (96 Sport and 97 LSC.)

I was almost going to give up looking for a good 96+ Bird with sunroof, but I found one. I had almost made up my mind that I was going to buy another Jaguar Vanden Plas since they are so awesome. :D They are very reliable, but the maintenance costs are slightly ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
You really can't beat a 2002+ Taurus for room and comfort. The DOHC Duratec does pretty good for what it is. The Vulcan 3.0 is a sturdy engine, I have had two myself. I HIGHLY suggest any thing 2002 or newer for the Taurus. The 2000-2001 early GEN4s had small rotors like the bid but were upgraded to 11.6" in 2002 (same size brakes as the Mark VIII.) The transmissions were also better after 2001. The AX4N is a pretty smooth transmission.

Yes, there are mods around for the Taurus, check out my site.. http://www.fordthunderbird.net to see for yourself. I think my Sable was pretty good for what it was.

Don't mess with an old econobox Focus, get the Taurus!
The sedans got the small rotors. The wagons got 11.6" rotors. My 01 has that. The trans in that thing is nice and smooth, it's a big comfortable car and gets decent milage. I was able to get 25mpg driving 85% highway with me, my wife and 2 kids going to northern nj, with a CEL on for an o2 sensor. Mines a duratec. It definately is so-so down low but when you get it above 3k rpm it wakes up and comes alive.

My wagon is loaded to the brim(minus a sunroof) and I think the one option I love the most............ adjustable pedals :D

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Trust me, being a kind of Taurus expert, the brakes got updated all around after 2000 to early 2001. This is why 15" wheels don't fit anything after that point.

You usually find Disc/Disc on the Wagons though but that might be because the equipment level is higher.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I had a 2002 Ranger XLT single cab, its about as practicle as a Corvette. There isn't enough room for even two people.
I don't see the comparison.
2 people fit fine in my ranger as long as they are under 300lbs each. Legroom is the only issue.. rangers can be picked up in decent shape from 3-8 thousand dollars around 100,000 miles. Get a corvette in comparable condition for that!
The ranger can tow light loads and will easily haul a motor or 4 in the back (air shocks and heavy duty leafs required for 4 4v markVIII motors I know I did it)
Rangers get decent gas mileage, the tires are cheap, everything on them is cheap for that matter. Nothing about a corvette is cheap except the engine block and the ranger motors are still cheaper when dealing with pre02 lima motors.
how many corvettes last 300,000 miles of daily driving? I see rangers like that all the time.
Try hauling a mod motor in a taurus, or half a ton of mulch, etc...
it really depends on your needs. If you want to haul 4 kids with you get the taurus, if you want to help a buddy move get the ranger. If you want to make up for your small penis buy the corvette....
Alan

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
it really depends on your needs. If you want to haul 4 kids with you get the taurus, if you want to help a buddy move get the ranger. If you want to make up for your small penis buy the corvette
SO MEAN!!!! :zbash: :tongue:

I agree, its based on your needs. My Ranger was not so good, but I am sure that most people are happy with them. I had the following problems with my Ranger:

1) It was burning oil like a refinery. Being a 2002 with 94K miles, it was a disappointment.

2) 2WD in the winter was tough!

3) I ended up having to cart kids around after my Wife started working. It wasn't the right auto for me anymore.

#1 was the last straw for me, I think it needed an engine rebuild.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I had 10 40LB bags of dirt back there and new Michelin tires. I couldn't deal with it after last winter. There was many close calls with parked cars and stop signs. Being in Texas, Mr. Earl won't have this problem. :)

I do miss it sometimes. We hauled all sorts of stuff in my Ranger while I had it. I don't think a Crown Vic Rear axle will fit in my Fiesta!

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Sure it will, on top!. I put a 97 v8 explorer rear axle in my ranger with the large disk brakes. Hard to notice under normal driving but when pulling a trailer or loaded down the brakes don't change like factory ones did.
Alan

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I have been considering getting a Ranger, but I am waiting on a deal on one! :) I do feel slightly cramped in the Ranger though. I like being miles from the steering wheel, so an extended cab would help.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.