TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 Bird 5.0 and I was wondering which sounds better. Flowmaster or Magnaflow?

I want it to sound as close to a mustang as possible.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Go Magnaflow. Flowmasters are way overated.

A 'Bird is NEVER going to sound like a Mustang. I don't know why everyone wants their Bird or Cougar to sound like a
Mustang.

I myself want to sound as different from a Mustang as I can.

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,671 Posts
I had a SOHC 4.6L with Magnaflow and it was a nice mellow sound. And now have a DOHC 4.6L with Flowmaster 40's on it. The flowmasters are definitely louder but I have liked the sound of both.

How to sound like a Mustang? Check out a Mustang exhaust next time you see one to see what they are running and try to copy it. Otherwise, it's really just your choice. This is an endless debate as to which sounds better.

-Melon

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
dynomax

·
Registered
277 Posts
i think flowmasters sound like crap on the 5.0 and even the 4.6 personally...and im sure alot of others do.

but if you want it to "kind of" sound like a mustang, mid mounting the muffler(s) is probably the easiest way. dont know how it works, but it creates a completely different sound than when the mufflers are out back and i find that they sound more like mustangs when the mufflers are mid mounted.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
becasue of routing of pipes between both cars it well never sound exactly like a mustang. my 95 mark 8 has only stock 3 cats with resonator and mufflers gone and i can make mine sound like a cobra with certain pedal feathering/acceleration at a certain speed. but not like i aim to make it sound like a stang......because its not one lol

but my vote is magnaflow

·
Registered
740 Posts
SLP Loudmouth 1's mid-mounted FTW!!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Wtf what? Are you confused about something? LOL

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I like how flowmasters sound on the 5.0s. Never heard the aero chambers on a 4.6

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have SLP Loudmouth 1 mufflers on my car, they're mid-mounted, and I love the way they sound....Hence, what I posted is FTW which = For The Win....LOL

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I've been told Magnaflow's are much quieter than the Flowmaster. I was kinda thinking of just removing the resonator and mufflers and just have pipes. But i'm worried about the crackle noise.

·
Registered
277 Posts
it will crackle when you let off the gas at a high rpm either way....it just wont be as loud with a magnaflow.

if you listen close enough, when you rev it up with the stock mufflers it crackles...theres just so much sound deadener its not really noticeable.

·
Registered
619 Posts
the crackle noise is the best part...i love the crackling noise for some reason. Im running a dynomax bullet in place of the resonator and gutted third cat, with pipes out the back...sounds good to me

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the great information. I ended up just removing the mufflers over the weekend and I like the sound so for now that's how it's gonna stay. And so far I haven't really heard any crackling.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts