TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off i searched and went threw some posts. but i dont really understand alot of the crap in them. my question is , what are some thigns i can do to get a little more power , without spending to much money. i want simple mods i can do myself , im not very good working on engines at all. ive read about pullys , and air silencer. i dotn know what the pullys are or where they go. and ive read a few posts o nremoving the air silencer , but i dont fully understand what they say. also will a dual exhaust help ? my teacher does exhausts , so i could get it done cheap . if i had EVERYTHING replaced for the exhaust liek headerrs , cats , mufflers would that help ? please explain thing in detail , thank you much

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
you dont know what pulley's are? I guess we all start somewhere :) Look at your serpentine belt, it's all those little round things that it circles around.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
yeah, what thomas said. exhaust will help. but if your a real newbie i would take off your air silencer. the air silencer is basically everything under the fender on the bottom side of your air filter. but if your going to do that i would just get a k&n filter air filter. that way you can remove the whole box that holds your air filter and just put on the k&n. i think a filters like 50 or 60 bucks. it wont give you a lot of horsepower, but it'll be something to get you hooked on moding your car. once your hooked.....you just can't stop hahaha.

as for your exhaust. if you can get it done really freaking cheap. might as well do it.

i suggest getting a chiltons manual and just reading it. and ask questions on the forum. you gotta teach a lot of this stuff to yourself :)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
The serpantine belt drives every thing. The A/C, fan, altenator and power steering.
I miss the old days of having 2-3 v-belts. At least if one let go you did not loose everthing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
:) PULLYS FOR DUMMIES 101 :)

put the chiltons next to your toilet thats what I did. the Underdrive pulley is smaller than the pulley that you have now ( The large one at the bottem ). when the engine runs the pulley that is attached to the bottem of the engine turns round and round which turns your alternator a/c pump ect. When you put a smaller one on the engine works less turning these accesories thus freeing up Horsepower for your wheels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts