·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

going to use my 91 as a donor for irs swap

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Nice project. If Im not mistaken thats a 67 correct?

Ive wanted a coupe since growing up in my Grandmas.

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts
1967, ayep. Used to own one.

You going to do anything to replace that POC front end design?

There are a few Rack & Pinion conversions, much better if you're going power than the "Oh, look, he turned the wheel. Durr durr durr. Wait - he turned it more. Maybe a bit more and - Oh, good, let's valve ALL the PS fluid into the boosterWHUMP!" design it came from the factory with.

Hated the "I saw a MacPherson strut, let's drink enough booze and see what we can do that's nothing like it but with all the problems!" front end design. But eh.

There ARE coilover kits for it, also. This will help tremendously.

Don't forget the shock tower brace - these NEED that!

*sigh*

Still wish I had mine some days. 500+ RWHP, and a consistent 13MPG :diablo:

RwP

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
1967, ayep. Used to own one.

You going to do anything to replace that POC front end design?

There are a few Rack & Pinion conversions, much better if you're going power than the "Oh, look, he turned the wheel. Durr durr durr. Wait - he turned it more. Maybe a bit more and - Oh, good, let's valve ALL the PS fluid into the boosterWHUMP!" design it came from the factory with.

Hated the "I saw a MacPherson strut, let's drink enough booze and see what we can do that's nothing like it but with all the problems!" front end design. But eh.

There ARE coilover kits for it, also. This will help tremendously.

Don't forget the shock tower brace - these NEED that!

*sigh*

Still wish I had mine some days. 500+ RWHP, and a consistent 13MPG :diablo:

RwP
Yep I remember that too with my 66 comet .

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts
Did your car ever make "The Mating Call Of The Small Ford"? That "EeekEeekEeek" sound of the front upper control arm shaft O-rings (bushings? HAH! Them's bushings like a kid's toy rowboat is a ship like the Queen Elizabeth II!) failing? :diablo: I know that sound well.

I also ended up with a cracked shock tower, which is what put the 'Stang down.

RwP

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
No I had the " I'm out of alignment ( pothole) oh wait never mind its ok now" front end. I wish I had the funds back then to do a flaming river mustang II swap.

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts
No I had the " I'm out of alignment ( pothole) oh wait never mind its ok now" front end. I wish I had the funds back then to do a flaming river mustang II swap.
Oh, THAT was fun.

Mine was trying to pass on a divided highway (with raised dividers, curb height) and being at 70 MPH when a dump truck doing about, oh, 15 decided to pull out in front of me ... The car didn't really like going up and down over the curbs. At least I didn't try to pile on the brakes on the curbs.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts
If you define fun as "OMG - Help me get this driver's bucket seat out of my personal rear end" then yes, it was :diablo:

Considering the OTHER choice was to convert it to a convertible by removing the hard top under the dump truck - and the hood, and most of the body! - I figured it wasn't bad.

Bought it with a clapped out 289 that got 17 miles per gallon of gas - and 12 miles per gallon of oil :diablo: Found a Boss 302 block, a HiPo 289 intake, a set of 351W heads, and ... proceeded to build that up into a really nice little 302W (well, .030 over made it more like a 308 IIRC.)

Combined with a built C4, it was nice.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts
Winky - Be sure to check on what's shaking on front splitters for that.

The stock body was REALLY good about starting to pump the front end up and down at about 90MPH.

(A speed I can easily reach in Ruby if I don't use cruise and/or don't pay attention to the speed I'm actually doing ... with no distress at all.)

RwP

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol yeah I listen to car talk as well, :D Im going get the body looking right and then t-bird irs or tubed/back halfed then get the front end acting right im thinking flat black with dark cherry accents

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Flat black with Dark Cherry accents? How much dark cherry?
Why not do the whole car in Dark Cherry and then plastikote the flat black sections -- this way if you decide that you get tired of flat black (which I can't imagine being very fun for a car you actually drive on the street), you can just pull off the black sections.

-g

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Looks like a nice straight car. I always liked the foot pedal "intermittent" windshield wiper switch on those ponies. I'd point to windshield and active the wipers randomly in a "look ma no hands" fashion each time I pointed, and amaze my passengers.

Excellent choice for a project car. Lots of companies that cater to the builder's needs down to the last detail.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well no stang the guy failed to mention that the front frame rails where rotten and the passenger side rear quarter panel was from the wrong year if anyone would like to take it on let me know ill give you his number

·
̇
3,702 Posts
That's a good excuse for you to keep your Thunderbird.. :D

What kind of shape is your Thunderbird in anyways?

Rayo..

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts
well no stang the guy failed to mention that the front frame rails where rotten and the passenger side rear quarter panel was from the wrong year if anyone would like to take it on let me know ill give you his number
If it fit, it was from a 1968. Only real difference was the vents - THOSE can be fixed.

Yah. I was going to post "Dummy, fix the front FIRST then the rear." The live rear isn't that bad, the front end ... well, it falls into "Kee-RIST! I could chew up a bunch of iron fillings and PUKE a better design!!" :diablo:

(Bonus points if anyone knows where THAT came from.)

RwP

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
That's a good excuse for you to keep your Thunderbird.. :D

What kind of shape is your Thunderbird in anyways?

Rayo..
the body only has another year or 2 before it will be gone completely but when that happens Im going to fly to the the desert find a 96-97 rust free bird drive it back to ohio and swap my goodies my 91 is far far farrrr from a show car and the way i see it, it would be cheaper or at lest more fun to go buy a good body then to try and save the one I have

a one way plan ticket is around $200, gas to drive it back (considering gas is $4.00/gal and the Thunderbird gets 20 mpg ) would be about $400, budget in 2 hotel nights at $150 $300, food budget for 2 days 100 another 50 to change the oil if i cant do it at the owners location

$200
$400
$300
$100
$50

total $1,050
then I would scrap the old car body should bring $275 scrap the new cars cats 200 the new cars aluminum wheels and rad $50 sell the 4.6l and the trans for $300

$275
$200
$50
$300

$825 total

total after getting rid of the old junk 175
witch is about the same cost if I had to put the car on a trailer and bring it back from southern KY and I don't get to see a bit of county that I have never seen before .

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the prices that i have listed are worst case scenario (not counting a brake down) and vegas is the farthest i would go out west

1 - 20 of 25 Posts