TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears the crankshaft snapped on me... no cylinder compression, serpentine belt doesn't move. When I engage the starter, it doesn't spin free, and now that I had a good listen it sounds pretty nasty down below.

Well, at least now I have a reason to upgrade all the parts, I'm going all out on this one.. and I know everyone here will help me along the way.

Stay tuned................:cool2:

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've already sent an email over to Dan Newman regarding a rebuild kit.. I'm open to any other ideas or suggestions anyone might have while I'm looking into parts and before I get my head into the project.

·
Registered
386 Posts
How much are you going to pay for your rebuild kit? What does it include...im sooo close to starting the rebuild on my 89 and Im about to start buying parts.

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yeah, pics will be posted as I go along.

And this time I'm gonna make it so nothing breaks inside this thing ever again.. I ain't screwin around. :D

I haven't heard back from Dan yet, and I'm not sure if I'm going to buy a kit as a whole... SuperSix Motorsports sells a kit that comes with a forged crank, rods, and custom Wiseco pistons. I hear the forged cranks are heavy as hell, but I don't care, I'll be damned if I break another one. Anyway, I'm probably going to spend about 2,000 off the bat just on new parts so I can get her running again. I'm sure it can be done cheaper, but like I said I'm not screwin around, and I might as well upgrade a few things while I'm in there.

Further bulletins as events warrant.

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
hey, i got an idea... take a lot of pics and do a good wrtie up on it... then forward it to mercuito (sp) for the new ford magazine

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good idea! :thumbsup:

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Tom's forged cranks are probably from supercoupes anyway. Do you know if your 90 had a forged crank or was it an early 90?

supersix motorsports is expensive Don't tell Tom I said that check out rpm-mustangs for good pistons also.

-Thomas

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
So that's the second crank that snapped in your engine? That sounds a little suspicious. I wonder if there is something else wrong and causing the breakage. Or, could the flywheel have broken and the crank is ok?

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, but like I said, it's odd because Mark (the guy I bought it from) was doing brakestands when he snapped the first one. I was just rolling down the highway doing about 70.

I'm trying to get detailed information from him about the rebuild and any modifications he may have made. He said he upgraded to a forged crank, but I'm not sure now. I mean, I trust the guy. I've inspected his work carefully, he knows what he's doing, and he did a very good job overall with it. I'm definitely going to collaborate with him throughout the rebuild and see if I can determine the cause.

The car's manufacture date was February of 1990. I did notice that supersix is expensive, so I'm open to alternatives. My main thing here is to make plenty of room for more power later on in this motor, and make sure nothing breaks like this again, no matter how hard I romp on it :) I am at an advantage here, as my father has access to the tools and the knowledge to bore, port, and polish whatever is neccessary, so that's more money I can spend on parts.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Well if you're going for a power pak sort of thing. I'd contact rgr at [email protected] since he's specs the best cams I know of and makes killer head/cam combo's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts