TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
She's back!

Hey guys it's been a while. Story goes, I bought my mother's 96 Tbird back in 2009 and got it back on the road after sitting for something like 3 years. Drove it for a while and LOVED the car. Had our 3rd daughter and bought a wagon for the extra room so the Tbird sat. I 'sold' the Bird back to my parents because they needed a car after some financial troubles. So they took ownership July 2011. They were going to make payments to me, which, due to worse issues, only paid a portion. I've always expressed myself about the car telling them that I would take it back if they ever wanted to buy something else. It's sitting at ~175K now. I regretted selling it cause I loved the car but being we have a van for the family, I can have a fun car again, being that I have a company van for work. My car ends up just being a once a week/fun car for me to go to band practice and when my wife isn't here with the van.

Which leads to today. I go over to their house for dinner with my family and they asked if I would want it back. Hell yea I would! In a couple weeks they are looking to get something else so the car is going to come back to me. It was actually good because I was having issues with Windstar I have and was looking to sell it, and will keep the Duratec Sable wagon I have for my wife. Now that my 2 oldest daughters are out of car seats and the 'baby' is 2 in a normal car seat there will be no problem sending them in the back seat. :D. I'm just stoked to have a PROPER wheel drive v8 car again. I just have to wait for them to get something else.

Anyway here's what she looked like when I had her.

·
̇
3,702 Posts
Congrats!

Hopefully it stays with you for good this time..
:thumbsup:

Rayo..

·
Super Moderator
9,168 Posts
I kind of figured it wouldn't be long... :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
Congrats! Clean looking car!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks guys. It was kind of a suprise they sprung on me last night. I just hope they find something sooner rather than later ;) Really the only reason I got rid of it was because I couldn't get 3 car seats across the back, 1 of which being an infant seat.

Rayo, I'm hoping the same thing.

Darren, much thanks for the help. I only wish that I could get it 1/2 as nice as yours!

Brandon, I was hoping it wasn't going to be that long. I miss my MN-12! I actually started looking for another one within the last month so this is a bonus.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it's going to happen within another month or so. It's been parked for the past month because it's been spitting and sputtering lately and I told my mother to park it till I can look at it. Which I did today.

It had a P0305 which I traced down to a bad coil(smelled of raw fuel in the exhaust). Replaced that today, as well as the plugs. It's still 'misfiring' and running rough under load/idle, but not throwing a code for a misfire anymore, and doesn't smell like raw fuel in the exhaust. Now it's throwing the dreaded P0171/174 codes. I didn't have any CRC MAF cleaner left so I couldn't clean the MAF, but that's on order the next time I'm there. If that doesn't fix the issue, I have to take a look at the vacuum lines. I did drive it and look at the LTFT's wich were getting in the 20-30's so I'm almost positive I have a vacuum leak.

In the meantime she's not driving it, so that's a good thing. After driving it after putting in the parts today, it REALLY made me miss driving the Bird so I can't wait to get it back here!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So tonight I went to my parents, capped off the rear brake lines that were leaking like the Exxon Valdez, and drove it home :D

I got the P0305 fixed by replacing the coil, but I'm now getting a P0174 and it's sputtering like hell. I have to trace that down and repair the rear brake lines, swap the Sport rims back on it, then it's going on the road and will be my DD again.

Sitting in the same spot she was many years ago when I first got her

·
Super Moderator
11,903 Posts
Welcome home to the Bird! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
68 Posts
the 174 code on mine was 02 sensor when I got mine the guy said it had 4 new 02 sensors (autozone junk ones) ended up replacing all 4 of them with good ones and took care of all my 02 sensor codes

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Car needs plugs and wires I've never seen a coil go bad on a mn12 tbird that had oem coil packs

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Plugs were already replaced, but the wires were not. I was only able to get the misfire code to go away after replacing the coil. I need to dig a little more to see what's going on with it, but this cold is just too much to be outside trying to figure this out. I'm hoping to have it fixed and on the road before Christmas.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Replace the wires

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
That does not matter how old are the plugs

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well apparently my crappy Actron scantool wasn't picking up the misfires any more. I took my ELM327 and ForScan on my laptop out there to see what was going on(GREAT free software for Fords!) and I have codes P0304, P0305, and P0174. Fuel trims for bank 2 are all over the place. Fuel trims for bank 1 are in + range but not as bad as the one on bank 2.

The plugs have the 35 miles I put on it driving home. Standard copper Autolite. Looks like tomorrow I'm going to get a new set of wires and put them in, and put the stock coil back in there. I hope I can get to it before it starts to snow tomorrow......... Cross my fingers! Thanks Rob.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
She's running great now....

Here's what I did. I put the original coils back on and replaced the wires. Still ran like crap and was misfiring on 4 and 5. I started looking at vacuum lines at that point. I found a massive leak. The hose connecting the plastic line that goes under the air box to the vapor canister was non-existant. I replaced all suspect vacuum lines and it STILL ran like crap misfiring on 4 and 5.

Bottom of the canister where there should be a vacuum hose attached

That's the hose that decentagrated

In a last ditch effort before the rain came, I swapped the new coil I bought back in on the coil that I suspected to be bad, ESPECIALLY being that cyl 4 and 5 are on the same coil and on the same side of the coil. What do you know.......... it's running perfect now! It was most definately the coil that was bad.

From here, I need to replace the rear brake lines, flush the brake system, and it's going on the road next week. I'm stoked! :D

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Dedication achieved...........

I wanted to get the car on the road again before Christmas so I spent 2 days outside in the sub-freezing temps to get it running right and get the rear brake lines completed. All was done, and I now have bronchitis.......... :mad:

That being said, I titled and transfered plates on her so she's mine to DD now! I really missed driving her! The shocks need to be replaced because it's definately more 'floaty' than it was before, but all in all she's running/driving/stopping good.

This weekend is supposed to be in the 60's so I'm going to put the SC wheels on it, then ALL my cars are getting much needed baths. The bird is in DIRE need of a good cleaning, so no pics yet :rolleyes: It feels good to be in my MN-12 again :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
7,485 Posts
Congrats! Now don't let it get away again!

·
Super Moderator
9,168 Posts
Good feeling, isn't it? :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts