TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this issue for a while now and I am starting to care about correcting it lol. My oil dipstick is pretty much free standing/moving like its not connected to anything and when the motor gets warm the oil vapor "smoke" comes out of there pretty heavily, this maybe one of the points of my oil leak as well. When I was under the car I couldn't really see where it connected and I was busy doing other things so I just left it alone. Does anyone have any advice for me on this matter? is this common? is it just a nut that needs to be tighted to the pan? It is REALLY loose like i can move the tube front to back about 6inches easily. I apreciate any help you guys can give me. Thanks, Jon.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Well I know on my 4.6 it just slides into place with an o-ring and then gets bolted to the valve cover to prevent it from moving.Your 3.8 might be the same.But I am not sure.Hope that helps alittle.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The oil level tube slides into a hole on the drivers side of the block. There is a bracket that is welded to the tube that mounts the the 2nd bolt on the exhaust manifold (counting from the fan towards the firewall - top bolt of the 1st cylinder). That is a stud and a nut goes on the stud and the tube either slides over the stud or has a whole and slides onto the stud then the bolt tightens it down. If yours is like mine, it may have cracked at the stop seam at the block and its leaking there. Otherwise, you have an exhaust leak or your head is leaking.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah I think its cracked off since I later found 2 little holes in the tube looks like a snake bite.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the link. What I ended up doing is pushing it in a little better and covering the holes in the tube with some jb weld.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
That'll work!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts