TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
93 Mark VIII - After I removed my center console to fix my o/d cancel wiring my shift knob is kind of loose.

It doesn't move up and down, but the shift knob can be slightly rotated left and right, maybe about an 1/8." Not side to side. It's solid in every other aspect.

The staple/retaining clip is fully inserted in the shifter. I removed it and expanded it, reinstalled, then tried compressing it a little bit, but it made no difference.

Everything else works fine. The shifter will cycle through PRNDL without issue, and it can't be pulled off, it can just be rotated clockwise/counterclockwise slightly.

It's frustrating, because this didn't exist until I removed the console.

Anyone got any ideas?

·
Administrator
8,113 Posts
Anyone got any ideas?
Yeah, hopefully I can explain it correctly. :tongue:

On the metal shaft that the shifter knob slides over, there's a small detent or slot on the top and the shifter knob has a tab that slides onto this detent to hold it in place. I'll bet when you removed the knob the tab broke off.

Joe

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes sense. The shifter was really stuck, so it came off with some force. (Yes I was holding the release button).

If that's the case, do I need a new shift assembly or just the knob?

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
If the shifter rotates but the 'staple' is in place, you will need a new shift knob. You'll have to use a pick or something to get the plastic tabs out if the metal shaft once you remove the shifter. I always pull the staple out and use both hands and hit it straight up from the bottom.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the shifter rotates but the 'staple' is in place, you will need a new shift knob. You'll have to use a pick or something to get the plastic tabs out if the metal shaft once you remove the shifter. I always pull the staple out and use both hands and hit it straight up from the bottom.
Damn. If I go hunting at the scrapyard, what vehicles will have the same knobs?

94-97 Tbirds and Cougars will fit, I'm guessing, but what about Mustangs, Continentals, Taurus etc? They look similar, but I'd rather not find out the hard way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts