TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It sounds like woody woodpecker is under my hood on start up and during a light acceleration. Once i reach higher rpm it becomes quieter, returning as i back off the gas. Any ideas or solutions to this problem will be a great deal of help.

·
Registered
293 Posts
in the old days i'd say you have a sticky lifter or a bad rocker arm. Does it run a little rough at idle? May try a can of risoline oil additive. It will losen up sticky lifters and condition the seals around the valve stems.....and it don't cost but about ten bucks for a quart. Can't hurt anything...

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
There is a pretty good chance that you have a spun rod bearing. Try listening to the engine with a long screwdriver, a piece of hose, or an automotive stethoscope (best tool to use) to pinpoint where the noise is coming from. If it is coming from low in the block, you probably have a spun bearing.

-Rod

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Okay, I added some seafoam but the only noticeable difference is engine performance. My only other choice before taking it to a mechanic seems to be a lighter oil. It could be that my oil is too heavy for the lifters (10w40) and aside from that, I'll check out more on a spun bearing.
Will it damage the engine longterm?

·
Registered
293 Posts
No, your oil is fine . I would take racecougars advice and see what you find. I'm sure he knows a fair amount about these cars. I'm still in the old school.

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
XR7IST said:
Will a spun bearing damage the engine longterm?
I already sent you a PM describing the damage that a spun bearing can do to an engine.

-Rod

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Yes a spun bearing will kill and engine.
My advice is, by going on what I percieve to be your knowledge level on cars, take it to a trusted mechanic and have them look at it. DO NOT tell them what you think it may be just have them listen. If they are a good shop they will just listen to that thing for free with you there and give you an opinion for nothing. Do not let them tell you, it needs to be put on the computer for I can almost garuntee it is not electiral.
Other option if you know someone that is good with cars to have a listen or get a recording an post it here.

In all honesty and kindness I think this is quickly getting beyond you.

I believe spun a bearing (never did find out 100%, sounded like a exhaust leak/rattle/knock) on my orginal motor and it lasted about 10-15 miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts