TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dummy gauge says I loose oil pressure at WOT? But all continues to work correctly motor wise.. Is my sending unit to blame for this? I noticed this happening about 2wks ago. Should I be worried? I'm only asking b/c I know this gauge isn't true.. Thanx in advance guys!

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
The sending unit giving erratic "readings" is a pretty common problem. If you really had an oil pressure problem, you would hear the lifters clattering.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Stupid question, but did you check the oil level?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah the oil level is perfect

·
3,734 Posts
Could very well be the wiring to the sender or the sending unit it self. When my dad had my car, the oil gauge would drop to zero intermittently. He supposedly had the harness replaced. Never happened again unless the oil level did get that low, which didn't happen until much later when oil consumption went up out of nowhere.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Sending unit. Check the wiring and connection. My 3.8 had this problem so I grabbed a whole wire and connection off another car and then the problem stopped. Mine was so bad my check gauges light would come on.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My check gauges lite does the same lol

·
3,734 Posts
Check gauges light is supposed to come on when the oil pressure gauge reads no oil pressure, when overheating, when extremely low on fuel, and that's all I know for that.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
If it's that much of a concern, consider just adding a real oil pressure gauge.
An electrical one costs <$60.
* I simply replaced the oil pressure gauge sender on the block with an adapter that allowed me to mount my oil pressure sender in the car in the factory position (1/2" to 3/8" barb fitting -> 3/8" hose -> another barb fitting -> oil pressure sender)
* Only note is that you need a second wire to ground out the oil pressure sender if it's not physically attached via metal to the block.

We now have a real gauge. This way, if we notice the oil pressure dropping to 0, we know it's real.
-g

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going to change the oil this week anyhow. So ill inspect and find the problem. I may even do the oil pressure mod that AlFlorida done when he had his car..

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I'm going to change the oil this week anyhow. So ill inspect and find the problem. I may even do the oil pressure mod that AlFlorida done when he had his car..
The mod doesn't give you firm numbers, just a possible idea of the relative pressure.
While costing a few more bucks, a real gauge might tell you what's going on.
-g

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Had the same problem about a year ago with my 91 SC, turned out to be a loose connection at the oil pressure sender. Just needed to crimp the single wire push on connector a little for a tighter fit and reinstall.

David

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the sender leaking at the diaphragm. The oil leaked to the other side of the sender which caused the light to go on. When it sat for a few minutes the pressure would bleed off and it would work properly for a time. Replacing the sender fixed the problem.
The best way to test it is to use a mechanical gauge to check the pressure. It is good to have the gauge all the time so you know what your pressure is/

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Just a thought, but the '95 LX 4.6 of mine has a different kind of dip stick of any vehicle I've ever had.

Cable with a weight moulded on the end. It appears to be a lead type alloy, some porous. It has a relief molded into two sides where you read the level.

I have noticed early on when I got this car that if you whip it out, give a quick wipe with a wrag, it's still damp with oil residue. Very easy to check the oil in a hurry and think it's OK and it's really "not OK" but just showing the mist left on it from the last drive.

I make sure that it's "DRY" dry before I slip it back in to check.

Just a thought .... it's not the same as a strip of steel which every other vehicle I've ever had had and it's harder to read in a hurry.

:)

·
Registered
833 Posts
I had a similar issue but it was the gauge itself I only figured it out cause I had a spare so I swapped it out just to see that was easier than tearing into the harness

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Wiggle the sending unit connection problem solved

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wouldn't doubt its prolly a loose connection at the sending unit.. I can't remember how snug it was when I done the motor swap.. ill check it all out this weekend and let ya guys know what I found :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts