TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Reading that article the death of the Cougar killed the plant (in that if took the longest running car away), since it left it only produceing the Econoline.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Several articles that I read many years ago attributed the death of the T-bird at the Lorain plant was the result of a show down between Nassar and the Union. The 1998 Thunderbird already had the go ahead for production, the Lorain plant was the #2 plant in the WORLD in quality. Remember when "Quality is job #1" was the slogan. Anyway, the Union thought it was in a good position to bargain If enough interest I might be able to find the article. It could be posted somewhere on tccoa
I did find the quote from an article dated 11/13/2005 from the Morning Journal:

Controversies between Ford, the city of Lorain, Vermilion Schools and the UAW Local 425 go back to 1995, but Ford officials have never publicly said the shuttering of the plant is anything other than improving efficiency among its plants and reducing operating costs.

In 1995, Ford halted construction on an $256 million paint shop when former Lorain Chief Building Inspector Jack Murphy imposed $300,000 in fines on Ford for beginning to operate it without having all of its permits in place.

The paint shop then was disconnected and was moved to the assembly plant in Louisville where many of the Lorain workers transferred.

Also in 1995, Vermilion Schools sued Ford over the amount of the value the company had placed on personal and property taxes when it had received a tax abatement for an expansion. Ford later reached a settlement with Vermilion schools.

UAW Local 425 also insisted on working under the traditional operating agreement, despite the company and international union requesting the workforce conform to a modern operating agreement similar to Ohio Assembly's Unit II that allowed more flexibility among its workforce

End of quote.

·
Registered
789 Posts
JW told me that when designing the 97, they put a picture of a ford tempo in the office and said that was the target. The goal was to reduce demand and thus we lost the hood light, glove box light etc. Ford was trying to kill the car but they were still selling like crazy when it was cut. I'm just clad the FWD cougar and vert Tbird replacements have been so successful ~sarcasm if not clearly apparent~

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Good article.

I'm from Lorain and it's so sad that alot of people lost their jobs at Ford and the surrounding steel plants.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Drive XR7 said:
Good article.

I'm from Lorain and it's so sad that alot of people lost their jobs at Ford and the surrounding steel plants.
Hey Schamp! Good to see ya! :D

FWIW, I authored that article, as well as one from 12.24.00. I had the pleasure of working in thatg plant from 5/2005 through 8/2005. I have *alot* of different theories on what killed the MN-12 line, but being that BON has became more Ford friendly, I sorta censored what I *really* wanted to say.

Keep your eye out, folks. The update to that article, entitled "Lorain Assembly - the Final Chapter" will be posted by the middle of next week. Should have some pics on the inside of the plant (empty of course).

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
nice write-up, :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts