1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
9,175 Posts
I remember seeing that before, it's an interesting read. I remember back in 97 running across two local newspaper articles about the last MN12 rolling off the line. I would love to have those articles to read again...

I've visited the plant a couple times, although not recently. Last time I drove past there were a bunch of Hondas in the parking lot. Recently I picked up on hearsay that someone had bought the facility and was leasing it, and that someone was planning on putting a restaurant in. Thunderbird cafe? :rofl:

Maybe sometime I'll drive out there and snap a few pics of what the plant has degenerated into... It's really a sad sight to see, knowing what happened there. I know a couple guys who worked on our cars at the plant, too. Hearing their story is very much a love-hate relationship. They killed the MN12 and the workers knew the plant was shutting down, but Ford also moved assembly of the Econoline to the plant temporarily while the Escapes were built here in Avon Lake to keep the lines moving. Then they moved Econoline assembly back to Avon Lake and moved Escape assembly elsewhere. A good friend of mine works at the Avon Lake plant and it seems like every other year he's got a story about how someone (government usually) trying to convince Ford to keep the plant open with tax breaks, incentives etc....

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remember seeing that before, it's an interesting read. I remember back in 97 running across two local newspaper articles about the last MN12 rolling off the line. I would love to have those articles to read again...

I've visited the plant a couple times, although not recently. Last time I drove past there were a bunch of Hondas in the parking lot. Recently I picked up on hearsay that someone had bought the facility and was leasing it, and that someone was planning on putting a restaurant in. Thunderbird cafe? :rofl:

Maybe sometime I'll drive out there and snap a few pics of what the plant has degenerated into... It's really a sad sight to see, knowing what happened there. I know a couple guys who worked on our cars at the plant, too. Hearing their story is very much a love-hate relationship. They killed the MN12 and the workers knew the plant was shutting down, but Ford also moved assembly of the Econoline to the plant temporarily while the Escapes were built here in Avon Lake to keep the lines moving. Then they moved Econoline assembly back to Avon Lake and moved Escape assembly elsewhere. A good friend of mine works at the Avon Lake plant and it seems like every other year he's got a story about how someone (government usually) trying to convince Ford to keep the plant open with tax breaks, incentives etc....
I'm planning to make a road trip during mid August or July up to Ottawa, Canada. So my plan was to go see the plant, take some pictures with my bird in front of it, ect. I heard about the Honda's being stored there! I was ashamed! I don't want any Honda's soiling the sacred ground of the MN12s! Thunderbird Cafe? I'd go! Haha I would die to see the next gen Thunderbird/Cougar/Mark being produced at the Lorain Plant! Sadly my dreams are merely a spectacle. I've always wanted to know the love/hate story behind it. I haven't heard much about that, It would be great if someone more knowledgeable tell me about it!

·
Super Moderator
9,175 Posts
It's all fenced off, the best you could really do is take a shot of it next to the fence in a turnaround. The plant is at the corner of Baumhart Rd. and W. Erie if you want to Google Maps it for street view pics.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's all fenced off, the best you could really do is take a shot of it next to the fence in a turnaround. The plant is at the corner of Baumhart Rd. and W. Erie if you want to Google Maps it for street view pics.
I saw its all fenced off. I will try to contact the leasing/real estate company to see if they will let me in to get some pictures. Hopefully they will. Doubt it.

·
Super Moderator
9,175 Posts
Well just in case they do, tell them I'll show up with you too! :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well just in case they do, tell them I'll show up with you too! :D
Will do. Since your pretty close by the plant, I would go and take a day and scope out the place a bit better. Like good spot to take pictures, ect. You know just in case the real estate company doesn't allow us in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts