TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 96 Cat, 4.6l stocker with 65K miles on it. We bought it a couple of months ago and have put around 4K on it since then. It lost about a pint of antifreeze over that 4K period. There are no visable leaks, no coolant odor in the engine compartment, no visable streaks by the water pump, no trace of it in the oil, etc. What triggered this with us is the low coolant light came on. Anybody experience a similar slow loss situation?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Tony:confused:

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Yup, and it turned out to be the radiator- both times. Might want to check the sides where the plastic tanks are crimped to the alum center. Bet you have a leak somewhere on there. Mine seemed to start on the pass. side both times. Could be a coincidence, but... just a thought

·
Registered
654 Posts
Whith engine cold - fill reservoir up to cold fill mark - If the coolant
was changed prior to your purchase - there could have been air in
the system - Drive and check level every day or so .

Hope this Helps

Curt

·
8,239 Posts
beleive it or not. On the trip to carlisle last year, I had a coolant cap that wasn't holding pressure, and it was letting coolant escape at a slow rate.

Unscrew the cap when the motor is warm and make sure you get a good hiss out of it.

If not then I think my cap cost 9 bucks at napa.

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Just to be safe, make sure there aren't any bubbles on the dipstick....

I doubt it though!

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
Does the car ever run rough every once in a while on cold starts and then smooth out with in a minute or so? If so, coolant could be leaking into one or more cylinders. Thats how I bent a piston rod on my original motor, coolant doesnt compress to well :(

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aaron, the car runs fine. Thanks for your suggestion. It's still tight as all get out with no apparent stumbling, etc. An old lady in Florida had it and the mileage is verified. I now suspect that through the years the coolant got acidic (no clue as to maintenance history) and either the radiator is seeping or the water pump is leaking a bit (although the pump shows no trace of it).

Tony: no bubbles on the dipstick either.
Thanks,

Tony:)

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
Don't forget about the intake manifold coolant crossover. Check right above and behind the alternator for a coolant leak on the molding seam of the alternator. You may still have the original one waiting to explode.

Have you had the system pressure tested?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Embalmer :

Boy, thanks for that tip. I never thought of that. I'll check it Sunday. And, I have not had the system pressure tested as we just got the car a couple of months ago.

Thanks again,

Tony:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts