TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm losing oil! Ack! I really want to do a GT swap, but don't have the cash right now. Are there any products out there that might help with the valve leaks? I just need it to make it a couple more months (still paying on that tranny rebuild, lol!). Thanks! :)

·
Registered
621 Posts
You can try those 'mechanic in a bottle' fluids that promise to make your car burn less oil and whatnot, but most of them don't work. The only ones that do work are the ones that fix SMALL oil pan leaks, and even then, that's only a temp. solution.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Valvoline Max Life

I hate to recommend this, as I am NOT a fan of oil additives. But my 4.6L has 206K miles on it and was smoking VERY badly after idling for a while. (It would choke out people behind me!!) The local quickie lube place recommended I use the Valvoline Max Life oil. I wouldn’t have believed it, but after about 3 changes (approx 9,000 miles) my smoking has almost disappeared! I have always used Castrol and all I can say is the Max Life appears to have helped my smoking issue which is probably due to valve stem seal leakage. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
130 Posts
where's the leak?

T_Bird luvr,
You mention that your leak is a "valve leak". Like Daily's problem, that would result in burning of oil. if your seeing loss of fluid oil, then valve stems seals aren't the source of the leak.

WaLieN metnioned pan leaks, and he's right that only small seepage MIGHT be cured. I think that instead of adding goop to your oil, change the pan gasket..it's easy.

I had a problem when my rear main seal began to fail. IMO no "stop-leak" additive will help out a rear-main problem. Gotta get dirty and fix it. Requires a lot removal of parts as was well documented in the thread "rear main seal replacement" in the drive train forum (Josh Skidonenko gave great details!). It's generally not a job for the shade-tree mechanic.

Although some additives may provide solutons (like Daily Driver's experience with Max Life) it all depends on where your leak is.

·
Automatic Weapon
1,219 Posts
Hey Sarah, this is Big-Al from Grenville, SC.
If you replace the rear main seal, you have to take down the tranny like so:

And that is no fun...well actually I enjoyed it until bolts started stripping, but that is another story.
And as long as you have the tranny down, you might as well slide in a Mark VIII Torque Converter for kicks...literally!

That is Robert P and his dad looking over the new TC in my Bird.
Niiiiiiiiice!

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Other Places to Look for Leaks

I agree with checking on where the oil is actually going first before using additives. Another place to check for leaks is the seal between the oil filter adapter and the block. I just went through that ordeal of changing it out when I cracked the aluminum housing!

Birdofprey: When you say it's easy to change the oil pan gasket... doesn't it involve raising the engine 4 – 6 inches (and disconnecting almost everything attached to the engine), or dropping the whole front suspension?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies y'all! I had my rear main replaced when I had the tranny rebuilt. There is no visible oil leak anywhere and i have been over and under the engine. I also cleaned it really well and still no sign of a leak. So I checked the exhaust pipes. They are lined with a thick layer of black stuff that I can only assume is my oil cause it's just like what's on a block when a valve cover gasket's gone, lol.

·
Automatic Weapon
1,219 Posts
Sarah, drive it over to Greenville and I will take a look for you. I am free in the evenings and I will actually be here this weekend (no car shows this weekend ;) )

·
Registered
130 Posts
Re: Removing Oil Pan

Birdofprey: When you say it's easy to change the oil pan gasket... doesn't it involve raising the engine 4 – 6 inches (and disconnecting almost everything attached to the engine), or dropping the whole front suspension?

I have to confess that I have not tried to remove the oil pan from a 4.6L engine. I've, however, replaced gaskets and dropped pans (sometimes literally) on several other engines, and I never had to raise an engine to drop a pan. To my memory none of the steering components nor the anti-sway bar pose an obstacle to dropping the oil pan.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts