TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The motor has just been turned on. After it does it, it wants to run really rough and almost shut off. It also still revs up, just with no power. I happens sometimes when the engine is still warm too, did it the other day when engine temp was 150*ish. Not sure what it is and it is really making me mad.

Thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I have U/D pulleys so yeah, it reads a little below normal a good bit of the time, but I've had them for almost 6 months now and this is the first time it has done this.

Thanks for the Reply

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
I have pulleys and mine ran below normal for a long time. I also had a high performance alternator (these things do not last).

I had the same problems you are describing. First it was every now and then and one day the car just did not run without great effort. I discovered that my alternator was not charging and it killed my battery.

After I installed a new battery and Ford OEM alternator I noticed that my needle went above the "N" on normal, during idle.

Chances are your alternator needs replacing and if you’re unlucky you may need a battery. Do not mess around with the Alternator get a Ford OEM alternator. Keep the receipt you may have to return it.

Our alternators are notorious.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Or if you know someone that works at a Ford plant...
My Alt. died a few months ago, and I wasn't willing to shell out the cash for a new one, so my mom's boyfriend (That works at a Ford plant) took the Alt. in a lunch box and had it rebuilt for free. :D Apparently they have all the electronics for alternators there.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think that it's the altenator b/c it was replaced last October, and if anyone who helped me do it sees this part of the thread they'll prolly laugh. Also the battery isn't even a year old.

Thanks again for the ideas

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
Read this line again...

Do not mess around with the Alternator get a Ford OEM alternator.
Is the Alt a reman from Pep boys or a Ford unit? For some reason 4.6 Remans don't last very long. I would have a load test done to see if there might be a problem with the Alt and go from there.

-Scott

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
BSR said:
I don't think that it's the altenator b/c it was replaced last October, and if anyone who helped me do it sees this part of the thread they'll prolly laugh. Also the battery isn't even a year old.

Thanks again for the ideas

yep, I'm laughing.

Make sure when you put the ford Alt. in, you remove and reinstall it 3-4 times :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok joel, nuff said, and yeah it's a reman from autozone. I will have a load test done but I'm not sure if that's what it is since it only does it right after I start up the car, and sometimes not even at all.

Thanks for the input.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
A load test will test the condition of the battery. But to test the alternator you need to watch the amperage output that the alternator produces. If an alternator is going bad it may be hard to catch because it may work good one time and not work another time.

I do not remember the exact number but I believe that it is somewhere around 13.5 amps. If your alternator constantly or intermittently produces less than 13 amps then it is bad.

Here is a link that I found on this topic:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t51407.html

If your alternator is bad then toss that Autozone crap and get a NEW Ford OEM alternator. Remans, even from Ford do not last.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts