TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys need some ideas. 03 Mercury Marauder 4r75w. Trans won't shift auto(shifter in drive)to 2nd gear. If I take off in D the computer commands 2nd but stays in first(does not slip like the clutch pack is fried or just not engaging) until I get going fast enough then it will shift to 3rd at the proper MPH. No codes.

I have logged the solenoids being commanded properly, swapped out the solenoids, swapped out the OSS, replaced the filter, made sure VB was torqued properly, checked continuity of the hard connector. Disconnected the main plug outside the trans which should have both solenoids off and default to 2nd gear which it does so I don't believe the clutch pack is fried.

I'm stumped and so are a couple others. Just trying to see if there is anything else I can check before I pull the trans apart.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,367 Posts
Can you measure voltage on the pins for the solenoids at the trans connector as it commands the shifts to see what the PCM is actually feeding them?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I gotta try that.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
So what happens if you just totally unplug the transmission connector and try to drive the vehicle? 2nd gear is the default for electrical failure, so this would tell you better than me just saying that it isn't electrical that it isn't electrical.

D

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I unplug the external harness it acts like it is in 2nd gear, its not snappy like 1st at slow speeds, acts the same as manual 2nd except for maybe the engine braking part of manual 2nd. Reverse also works while harness is unplugged.

Also my trans guy uses transgo kits. So there is some wacky things going on in there. I think I am going to build it myself when it needs it, this time.

It has extra clutches, don't remember the counts. And I believe trans guy uses ALto and raybestos clutches.

Thanks

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did pull the accumulator while I had the pan off. Nothing jumped out at me there. The rubber seals weren't torn and no big hole in the metal body.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts