TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming home, 113 degrees outside, AC on, NOT overheating, WOW! What's that smell ? Smells like someones got an electrical problem. Well , I pull into the drivway an there it is, smoking, pop the hood and find the cooling fan is smoking away. Oh yeah, it's locked up to. So . . . what does it take? Is this a dealer only part ? How much ? Looks like four small bolts and an electrical plug, am I missing anything else ?:(

·
Registered
536 Posts
Coming home, 113 degrees outside, AC on, NOT overheating, WOW! What's that smell ? Smells like someones got an electrical problem. Well , I pull into the drivway an there it is, smoking, pop the hood and find the cooling fan is smoking away. Oh yeah, it's locked up to. So . . . what does it take? Is this a dealer only part ? How much ? Looks like four small bolts and an electrical plug, am I missing anything else ?:(
People sell them all the time (Mark VIII fan) on ebay:

http://motors.search-desc.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&catref=C6&ftrv=1&sacur=0&sorefinesearch=1&ftrt=1&fcl=3&frpp=200&from=R9&from=R9&samcm=6028&saslop=1&fstype=1&fccl=0&mppfqy=thunderbird,+fan&mppfqy=thunderbird,+fan&mppfqy=mark,+fan&mppfqy=mark+VIII,+fan&satitle=lincoln,+fan,+electric&sacat=6028&catref=C6&fts=2&fmmk=&fmmd=&fylo=&fyhi=&mppfqy=lincoln,+fan,+electric&sargn=-1&saslc=2&sabfmts=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1&fsoo=1

They are pricey when new from the dealer. Aftermarket Dorman replacement for your car is around $100 from Rock Auto.

Mitch

·
Registered
986 Posts
Bigiron383,

You'll need to unhook the top hose from the radiator in order to get the fan assembly out of the car. Which means you'll need to drain some of your coolant first, of course. And, as master486 pointed out, you'll have to angle the fan as you pull it up.

·
5,650 Posts
Bigiron383,

You'll need to unhook the top hose from the radiator in order to get the fan assembly out of the car. Which means you'll need to drain some of your coolant first, of course. And, as master486 pointed out, you'll have to angle the fan as you pull it up.
I've done it without unhooking any hoses. It's a tight fit but it can be done without removing anything.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, it's done, here's the deal :

No biggie, undo two bolts on top. Now, here's the tricky part. Don't forgett to pull the wire holder oner thingie after you pull the plug. It's a little tee thing taped to the wire pressed into the shroud. Now pull 'er straight up as far as you can then jocky it up past the upper radiator hose. To do this you'll have to push the upper hose (where it goes into the radiator) over until you can pull the fan housing up and past.The motor will rub on the hose also, no big deal. Thanks everyone, for your input.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts