TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 Thunderbird. I have been in the army for 2 years now and just returned home and i have lost the keys to my door and ignition (they are different). The other set of keys is long gone. What should i do?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I don't know this for a fact, but I think if you take your current registration, title and VIN to a dealership, they can make you a new key (I have no idea how much it would cost!! :beek: ). But if you have different keys for the doors and the ignition, someone has probably changed out the ignition cylinder since they are prone to go bad. I don't know how to get around that without following the directions in the service manual for removing the cylinder without the key. (I think it involves drilling, but I'm not sure).

Good luck!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the advice,
I had to change the ignition key a few years ago when i started the car and it wouldnt shut off, that was an adventure, so i guess im just going to have to get the ignition cylinder out.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes the dealership will be able to cut you a key from the vin. But make sure you bring proof of ownership. As for the ignition, well while your there pick up a new cylinder. As for me I would ask to see if you can get a complete set (ignition and door cylinders) so they match.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
close but no cigar , a ford dealer cannot get codes for a 1995 car, the codes that are recorded started in 1996 and 96 is a 50/50 chance . if had your ignition cylinder changed, it wouldnt work anyhow even if you had the original key code . you best bet, aquire a whole lockset, or call a locksmith and see what they would want. and btw thanks for protecting us and welcome home

·
Registered
10 Posts
For the door locks, pull one of the cylinders and take it to a locksmith. He can cut a key to fit the locks. Mine cost about $15 for cutting a key. It's much cheaper than buying locks.

Also, most door cylinders do not come with a key. You usually have to take them and have them cut to fit your existing key, so that it will match the other door. Sounds strange, but that's the way it was with my truck.

Nashcat

·
Registered
630 Posts
ok take a screw driver and ram it into the ignition where you put the key in and break that damn thing apart! then get a new Lock Cylinder! from auto zone 12-16 bucks! and as for the doors i would not know how to change thoughs a lock smith

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey MattRockey,

I looked into this for my 89 cougar. Though I don't have current prices, you can goto a ford parts center and buy the following as a match key set.

-Ingition Key
-Door Tumblers ( must know if Lighted or not) and possibly if remote entry.
-Trunk Tumbler

The Price I believe for the Ignition and Doors, (for my car) all brand new Stuff... was about 350.00 US Dollars... oh.. I believe in that price was a new trunk tumbler as well..

with me doing that I would have had two brand new keys for the front stuff.. and two brand new keys with the trunk..

I still may do this some day soon.. not sure yet.. but it was about an year ago when I looked into the pricing..

My reason for doing it.. was that the one each of the keys I had.. were both Copies of orginals.. and I am bit anal.. and wanted the Standard ford keys.. Yeah kinda stupid but that was the only reason..

I was able to have the Dealer make me another Trunk Key with just codes. and it did work.. But I had the little Code that came with the car when new, that says do not lose on it.. most people just throw them or misplace them.. and never let them go with the car when they sell it.. so I was suprised to see them in my glove box when I bought the car..

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
well they saw you coming, the lock set is 135.00 and the trunk cylinder is 52.00 and both are now obsolete

·
Registered
630 Posts
come on i just told him how to fix it the mexican way!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
jk89cat said:
well they saw you coming, the lock set is 135.00 and the trunk cylinder is 52.00 and both are now obsolete

WoW. that bites.. maybe I should have gotten them when I had the chance.. :(

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
now these are for illuminated entry and no antitheft . and they just went obsolete i could probally find them if you wanted them . justin

·
Registered
129 Posts
have a locksmith do the whole car, they can use the original locks and give you a set of keys to what you have....my dads a locksmith and i've seen him do it...many times...your not alone!!! lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts