TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am moving cross country, and have the bird on a trailer behind the moving truck. we stopped in Illinois for a visit, and I could hear a clicking when I drove it. I thought it was in the motor. We pulled it into my cousins garage, and got to checking, couldnt hear it. We put it on jackstands and ran it through the gears, and could only hear it in second, regardless of speed or rpm. Took it to the guy that built the transmission in 2001/2002 and he said he didnt think it was anything too big to worry about right now, but keep an ear on it. The next day I took my son tooling around the lake at about 10mph. Well, I sped up a little bit, enough to get it to shift into third, and about that time the transmission acted like it locked up and the car started grinding itself to a halt. I nursed it back home and figured out that if I manually put it in first or second, it works fine, but if I put it into drive and it tries to go into third, it will do the same thing until it gets slow enough then it will drop back to second.

any ideas, I need to get this thing fixed, its going to be my only vehicle for about 6 weeks when I get to Florida.

Thanks,

Jamie

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
alright, update: I have been told by more than one shop that the directional/one way clutches are probably bad, and a rebuild is the only way. I dont have the money for that right now. as it is, I am driving between NAS Pensacola and CID Corry Station for school in Second gear. It isnt going to last long that way I am pretty sure. That being said, will a trans from a 97 bolt in and hook right up, or will I have to mod it? Same question for a 2001 F150. I am looking at parts cars on craigslist. If I have to do it myself, I will, I have access to the autohobby shop on base, so tools and a lift, etc, isnt a problem, and I have done transmissions before. That doesnt mean I am looking forward to it, just that I can if I have to.

Thanks guys,

Jamie

·
Super Moderator
10,408 Posts
Did you tow it across the country on the rear wheels?

That'll kill the tranny, according to the manual.

You're supposed to yank the driveshaft, afaicr.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no, it was on a full trailer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts