TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pretty much what it says. not sure if it will cause any harm or not. doesnt sound very healthy, i just had it rebuilt and when i put it into gear whether it be drive or reverse more often when in reverse it makes a loud clank noise like the gears are coming together really hard or something. it doesnt do it everytime but 90% of the time it does.... any ideas help?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Mine does the same thing bro.. My 3rd bird and my past 2 did the same thing.. I guess its normal? Idk, ill find out after I put my built differentail in..

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sounds like u joints

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
U-joints were replaced with the new trans and I put in a brand new drive. when I have the break applied and engage it is when it happens. like I said more times than not when putting it in reverse. almost eveytime. occasionally when putting it into drive.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
loose driveshaft flange bolts at the diff, possibly. They're a drag to tighten with a 12 point wrench.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how can I tell if the mounts are bad?

and I'll see if I can tighten the bolts your talking about. are they torqued?

·
Registered
239 Posts
pretty much what it says. not sure if it will cause any harm or not. doesnt sound very healthy, i just had it rebuilt and when i put it into gear whether it be drive or reverse more often when in reverse it makes a loud clank noise like the gears are coming together really hard or something. it doesnt do it everytime but 90% of the time it does.... any ideas help?
does it do it when ur parked only? how about while ur moving? when the tranny downshifts? i have the same problem while im driving. i've been under the car numerous times but no loose parts(driveshafts, tranny mounts, ect...)im guessing loose pinion nut (if u have mess with it like i did) or worn out limited slip differential internals(i have a lot of play in it (while on jack, tranny in neutral, rotate driveshaft by hand back and forth, my driveshaft rotates alot b4 my wheels do)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya I'll keep looking into it. I can't tell when moving. it kind of makes a noise when downshifting. not like when I put it into gear though. idk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Wonder if this clank could be caused by the tailshaft bushing? Try to check your endplay, i have the same symptoms and i am leaning towards that. I have been reading around and some people have had there trans rebuilt by people that have forgotten to install new bushings in the extension housing. They often go bad quickly with the stock driveshaft as well. Just a thought...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
yeah, that big rubber tailshaft bushing is also very easy to rip apart trying to get the nut off, what happend to my 95. whenever i get the trans back together with the Jmod im planning on grabbing a new one since the stud spins in the rubber now.

like others are saying check the play, wedge a prybar up in their and try to move the trans back and forth. just dont bust off the sensors :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts