TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I failed my state inspection for having an exhaust that was too loud. The guy said they sell **** that you can bolt/stuff into the exhuast tips to instantly quiet it down. He said if I do this, he'll pass me.

Any idea what he could be refering to...I only have 7 days to get it quiter...

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
23 Posts
Did you have to pay a fine? I have no mufflers and I'm not sure whether or not to put them back on or not...

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I'm guessing These. A little on the expensive side if you ask me though.

·
Super Moderator
7,696 Posts
I would think the guy was referring to something like a supertrapp, not something you put in open headers. What kind of setup do you have on it right now? Is there room to add another muffler in there? Or maybe you could find a stock exhaust and just keep it around for when inspection time rolls around.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you have to pay a fine?
I did not have to pay a fine, I did get a Rejection Inspection Sticker which if not fixed in the amount of time given can yield me a ticket if I am pulled over.

I'm guessing These.
Naw, not those. He was saying something that is inserted into the muffler tips, not the headers. Thanks though

I would think the guy was referring to something like a supertrapp, not something you put in open headers. What kind of setup do you have on it right now? Is there room to add another muffler in there?
What is a supertrapp, do you have a link? right now they are 2.5" true duals with no resonators with Flowmaster 40's.

·
Super Moderator
7,696 Posts
http://www.supertrapp.com/product_sections/cat.asp?CatID=32

Supertrapp is a company that makes a tunable disc muffler. Basically it is an exhaust tip with a bunch of discs shoved in the end of it, so the exhaust gases escape through the gaps in the discs, but the sound can't make a turn as easily, so it gets trapped in the system. They are kind of expensive if you don't plan to keep them on the car, which is why I also suggested keeping a spare stock exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
12,674 Posts
How is "To Loud" defined according to the state vehicle inspection criteria? Did he use a Db meter at a given distance from the vehicle running at a given RPM? "To Loud" is very vague and open to interpretation.

I'd have asked for a detailed explanation and a copy of the relevant section prior to accepting a rejection based on "To Loud". Just tell 'em you want to better understand the acceptance/rejection criteria so that you can fix the problem.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you take it elsewhere for your inspection?
I cant imagine your exhaust with flowmaster 40's being that loud it wont pass?
I cannot take it somewhere else since I have the rejection sticker now.

How is "To Loud" defined according to the state vehicle inspection criteria? Did he use a Db meter at a given distance from the vehicle running at a given RPM? "To Loud" is very vague and open to interpretation.
Awesome Idea, he did not use a Db meter. I will stop back by on Monday and report back.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The guy said they sell **** that you can bolt/stuff into the exhuast tips to instantly quiet it down. He said if I do this, he'll pass me.
what do you mean by THEY...the inspection shop?
seems suspect to me if they are trying to sell something to you to get you to pass...but i am not sure how things work in your county.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I would think the guy was referring to something like a supertrapp, not something you put in open headers. What kind of setup do you have on it right now? Is there room to add another muffler in there? Or maybe you could find a stock exhaust and just keep it around for when inspection time rolls around.
They can be used anywhere in the exhaust system except before the cat converters (if equipped). Also the farther back it is installed, the less effective it is.

That’s all from there instructions.

Id probably try the quietest ones they make in the back of the system just to see how good it works. It might make it just quite enough to pass, and then they can come out easy if it passes hehe.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
weld a glasspack in w/ 2 bolt flanges and have the shop built you a pipe wit the same flanges to replace the glasspack if you wanted too.

·
Registered
158 Posts
scrape off the sticker and go somewhere else. that shop is just trying to sell you something and chances are they'd replace what you have already withs omething equally as loud and then pass you. best places to go are smaller places, not like the meinekes, shell stations etc. mom and pop kinda places.

Travis

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did not mean the shop was trying to sell me something. I meant they as in somewhere around the state..lol...sorry for not being specific.

I can give that a whirl if all else fails with ripping off the sticker, but I am not sure it'll work as your info is entered into the computer and thats how it prints out the sticker.

·
Registered
316 Posts
go to autozone or something, buy exhaust clamps, hack those 40s off. replace with crappy but quite turbo mufflers, take off, and have the 40s rewelded on.

$100 max

or change the intake. that makes a difference

·
Super Moderator
12,674 Posts
Awesome Idea, he did not use a Db meter. I will stop back by on Monday and report back.
Have you talked to the shop yet?

Edit: I found the relevant section. HERE.

The Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles
540 CMR 4.00
4.04 Procedures for Inspection of Non-Commercial Motor Vehicles (continued)
(5) Muffler and Exhaust System. Accelerate motor to test for prevention of unnecessary noise and emission of any unreasonable amount of smoke. The exhaust system, exhaust manifold(s), exhaust pipe(s), muffler(s), and tailpipe(s), if designed to be so equipped, shall be tight and free of leaks. System components shall be securely fastened with fasteners in place and undamaged. All motor vehicle exhaust systems shall discharge the exhaust beyond operator, passenger, and/or trunk compartment. Unnecessary noise is herein defined as any noise which is louder than that emitted by the vehicle when equipped with the original manufacturer's equipment. A gas or diesel vehicle will be rejected if, at normal operating temperature, at any constant speed over 15 MPH, (approximately 1,000 to 1,200 RPM's) visible black or blue exhaust emissions are evident.
The questions to ask are: How do they define the baseline "noise" rating for any given make and model, as all makes and models are different; and how do they compare the "original manufacturer's equipment" exhaust noise to the "Current" exhaust noise? How are the measurements taken? Interior or Exterior? What are the reference dB levels that must be met?

The only sound levels I can find for the Thunderbird are interior measurements from Car & Driver, October 1993 on a brand new 4.6L, 1994 Thunderbird HERE.

Recorded at the following levels:

Idle: 43 dBA
Full Throttle Acceleration: 77 dBA
70-MPH Crusing: 67 dBA
70-MPH Coasting: 67 dBA

Db meter anyone? Ultimately, I guess what the state is saying is that any exhaust other than stock is unacceptable. What a crock-o-crap. Just tell them it's an OEM Harley-Davidson special edition car. I never could understand why states give cars so much crap about their exhausts and don't say anything about how loud some motorcycles are.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It helps alot Trunk Monkey, thank you. I having having a pretty full week with no time to stop by the shop. I am gonna go by this Monday with 30 bucks and see what he says, if he takes it good. If not, I will just get the muffler changed out for the inspection and NEVER go back there again.

Thanks everyone, I will post up what happened after it's delt with.

Dave

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
that is a bunch of crap....how do all the fart an Honda's that sound loud as hell get passed? and they are just as loud if not louder( in a diff way) than a V8 with true duals....

sucks u got rejected but i would never go back to that guy again. clearly he is way too into his job to fail you for sound. ask him why there is such a HUGE aftermarket for performane and sound mufflers if you cant have them on your car?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts