TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So couple weeks ago I changed the rotors and pads on my 97 thunderbird lx and it was fine. stopping power Is amazing now but a flash forward a bit and now when I turn my steering wheel there is a really loud squeak really annoying and it happens at the last quarter of a turn to the right. I am P sure I did the brakes the right way and I even used a torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts. I mean,...I only did the pads and rotors so what could go wrong. So now today I can hear a screech starting to develop on the passenger side as well. This noise only happens at low speeds so freeway driving is fine and to my knowledge the tires aren't rubbing anywhere.
Also I should I add that when I go over a bump and my front end dips down there is a loud crunching noise.

I didn't leak brake fluid during the job and I didn't disconnect any jjoints or control arms either.

gonna take a look at it in the driveway tonight but could use some advice and its really appreciated. thanks!

·
Administrator
8,050 Posts
Did you try taking the wheel off and have a look at everything?

Joe

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not yet but I had someone in the drivers seat turn the wheel back and forth and I took a look but couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. except the sound. Ill take the wheel off later today and check around.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Sounds like it could be the rotor dust shield rubbing against the rotor. They are easy to bend, and the rivets can come out.

Al

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like it could be the rotor dust shield rubbing against the rotor. They are easy to bend, and the rivets can come out.

Al
hey I did bend the rotor dust shield when changing the brakes but I bent it back into position. When the wheel rolls it does not make a scraping noise. only when I steer right or left

·
Administrator
8,050 Posts
any good resources for parts other than pep boys?
Really, I didn't know that! :tongue:

When you had the wheel off, did you look at the ball joints and other suspension parts to see what they look like and shape they were in?

Check Rock Auto, you can find good stuff on eBay, stay away from the junk from China. Search around to see what parts people buy and where they got them from.

Joe

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I think you need a good diagnosis on the car, a second opinion. Take it to a shop and get an estimate, if you can. You're just guessing here and could be in for a big job only to find it was not the ball joints.

FYI, you don't want to replace just the ball joints anyway, you do the whole control arm. A neighbor tried replacing just the ball joints, and the replacements were a little too small and didn't fit.

Good luck with it.

Al

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you need a good diagnosis on the car, a second opinion. Take it to a shop and get an estimate, if you can. You're just guessing here and could be in for a big job only to find it was not the ball joints.

FYI, you don't want to replace just the ball joints anyway, you do the whole control arm. A neighbor tried replacing just the ball joints, and the replacements were a little too small and didn't fit.

Good luck with it.

Al
do you mean the upper control arm? the lower ball joint on the front end is giant and seems like it could be replaced by itself. I really have to buy the whole lower arm just to replace the lower ball joint? are steeda ball joints worth it?
thanks for the info btw I might go get an expert opinion lol

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Sure, you can replace just the ball joint by itself. And you can also end up with an inferior ball joint that fits loosely in the socket like my neighbor did.

It is not typical for a ball joint to make a crunching noise. A bad lower one usually makes the car pull to one side under braking.

Al

1 - 12 of 12 Posts