TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks to henry74 on the boards, I now have a new dual exhaust system on my thunderbird. 2.5" pipes from just after the manifolds all the way back(no cats), with a magnaflow 2.5" dual-in, dual-out tru-x muffler about where the stock third cat would be. It is pretty loud with just the one muffler.

I came home last night about midnight after finishing it and woke up my dad. He told my mom that if my car was going to be that loud, I couldn't park it at home.:D I think I'm going to get some of the small magnaflow cats to put on it to quiet it down some. Not really to appease my dad, but because it doesn't sound very good above 2500rpms and needs something else to help quiet it. Even so, it is still worlds better than the cobbled stock exhaust that was on it before. So thank you again Rick!

I'll snap a few pictures with my phone when I get a chance, and see if I can get a short video.

Edit: pictures->

-Rob

·
Registered
97 Posts
Cool, glad you like it. If you need some help with the cats let me know.

·
Registered
740 Posts
If it's too loud you're too damn old.....lmao

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
AHAHAH well I don't wanna wake up my neighbors and stuff if I come home at 3AM. That's why I'm putting cats on mine but I don't know how much more quiet it's going to be with the hi flow cats on it. We'll see though.

·
Banned
377 Posts
i have the same setup..but with 2.25 pipes...it took a few days to get used to after ditching the primary cats...but i love it now....sounds mean as hell at idle and wot.

·
Banned
377 Posts
^good idea...this set up with the primary cats sounded alot more flush/smooth...by removing the two cats ive got a more "raspy" tone...and alot more sound volume...but again, im starting to enjoy disturbing the peace with it...LOL

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
Yeah thats why I didnt go with a magnaflow muffler. It's just too mellow and smooth for me. I like a little pop to my exhaust. That's why I prefer borla's.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah thats why I didnt go with a magnaflow muffler. It's just too mellow and smooth for me. I like a little pop to my exhaust. That's why I prefer borla's.

Mine is definitely not mellow and smooth. It actually makes a raspy, blatty sound on WOT and will pop a bit on decel. Other than that, it drones on the highway, but it's not too bad if you keep your foot out of it. Just driving around, it sounds pretty good with a deep rumble, and has a good tone under moderate throttle. The popping and stuff could be from my tune, I know for a fact it leans out under WOT. I just wanted to get the exhaust and a few other things done before I take it down to Modular Depot for a real dynotune. I'm still really happy with it overall though.

I'm thinking about ordering a pair of these this week.

I'll try to get a few pics up in a little bit. I tried to get a few videos with my camera phone, but it just doesn't work. My bro's digi cam will take video clips, but they have no sound. It's a pretty old camera.

-Rob

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

My brother finally found his digital camera so I could post these. The cats I ordered should be here tomorrow. I also uploaded a bunch more pictures of my engine swap and stuff into a gallery.

-Rob

·
Registered
97 Posts
Man! who ever did that welding must be good!!!!:rofl:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man! who ever did that welding must be good!!!!:rofl:
:rofl:

Went back over to Rick's tonight and got the high-flow cats put on. It sounds great now. All of the "blattyness" and harsh sound is gone now without quieting it down a lot. It has a fairly deep burble at idle and has a powerful, yet mellow sound through the rpm range. It has a good tone to it.

-Rob

·
Registered
97 Posts
After hearing your car pull away last night. I am definitely going to have to put some high flow cats on mine, it sounded really good.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
put some resonators at the rear of the car

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
my fault i ran passed the last two posts too quickly :D

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,671 Posts
I'd like to :D

I really like my exhaust setup. It sounds very nice in town :D And then on the highway, it's actually kinda quiet. True dual 2 1/2" with high flow cats, H pipe, and Flowmaster 40's.

My 96 had 2.5" true duals on it as well - high flow cats, Magnaflow resonator and then just pipe all the way back. Was quieter in town, but still had a mellow sound to it :D And was quiet on the highway as well. I wish I had a clip of that, it sounded good I thought. Not as good as my 94 though :)

-Melon

·
Registered
468 Posts
a buddy had the muffler out back and just cut the outlet pipe and made it loud...if any one lived in ft worth tx 6 yrs ago would probably have seen that green bird that people said it sound like a farm truck cause it was so loud. even had the cats
________
extreme q

1 - 19 of 19 Posts