TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ok, here's one for ya.

'98 Mark VIII LSC runs 13.59 in the 1/4 mile full street trim on failing airride suspension. The car had 145K miles when it ran that time to on the old chitty SCT mail order tune with steelies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDinHcs--0o&list=UUzAG3n7bbZ39T3azT66TiEA&index=7&feature=plcp

http://www.dragtimes.com/Lincoln-Mark-VIII-Timeslip-23346.html

New setup:

T-bird SC springs on Tokicos out front and Koni adjustables in the rear.
Aluminum mini-spares up front with M&H front runners
Battery relocated to the trunk
A/C compressor delete with pulley
Dyno tuned with shift points near 7K (from 6600-6700) and 268rwhp (from 252)

Do I have an awfully low 13?

Skinny tires, battery reloaction, a/c delete. Just because I brought up my car in someone else's thread doesn't mean that I hijacked. That's why it is a discussion thread. I'm on topic, and you are not a moderator, so piss off. Just because it's your time of the month doesn't mean I have to deal with the bloody mess. :thumbsd:

·
West Virginia Chapter Director /, MA Drag Race Te
2,643 Posts
why?

you doubted me when i ran a certain time and backed it up.

just because you don't believe it, does not make it false.
Its all about mods, weight reduction, elevation, track conditions, density altitude and driver. With the mods and the weight reductions etc yeah its possible. How many come on here running jaws and don't have a clue.

Watching the video they were good runs and I stand corrected. All I know is we have the quickest NA Mark VIII here running in our part and I've seen that one metamorph over the years. Other than wheels and tires, it is still full option full weight. That is drillers car.

Rob, get the stuff done. We need to see her run!!!!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Skinny tires, battery reloaction, a/c delete. Just because I brought up my car in someone else's thread doesn't mean that I hijacked. That's why it is a discussion thread. I'm on topic, and you are not a moderator, so piss off. Just because it's your time of the month doesn't mean I have to deal with the bloody mess. :thumbsd:
Nice runs :thumbsup: ;)

·
Super Moderator
12,416 Posts
... Skinny tires, battery relocation, a/c delete. Just because I brought up my car in someone else's thread doesn't mean that I hijacked. That's why it is a discussion thread. I'm on topic, and you are not a moderator, so piss off. Just because it's your time of the month doesn't mean I have to deal with the bloody mess. :thumbsd:
Moved this discussion to its own thread. Yes, bringing your own car up in someone else's thread is a thread hijack. End of discussion.

1MTNCAT may not be a mod but I am and I'm asking you to check your attitude at the door.

The request for time slips and video to prove a claimed time is a common request around here; it's not personal - it just keeps the bench racers in check. If you're not one, and you obviously aren't, then producing the requested proof shouldn't be a problem. There's no need to get defensive about it.

You've got a nice car and we'd be happy to discuss what it takes to get a Mark VIII to low 13's. Just spare us the attitued.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Moved this discussion to its own thread. Yes, bringing your own car up in someone else's thread is a thread hijack. End of discussion.

1MTNCAT may not be a mod but I am and I'm asking you to check your attitude at the door.

The request for time slips and video to prove a claimed time is a common request around here; it's not personal - it just keeps the bench racers in check. If you're not one, and you obviously aren't, then producing the requested proof shouldn't be a problem. There's no need to get defensive about it.

You've got a nice car and we'd be happy to discuss what it takes to get a Mark VIII to low 13's. Just spare us the attitued.
No problem. I can do that. I still don't agree with your idea of a hijacked thread when I kept completely on topic and I was presenting a theoretical situation since I haven't done all of the weight reduction I mentioned yet. In no way was I bench racing or even bragging about my car. I was asking a question revolving around the same topic to promote discussion and it appeared to me that the OP had a sufficient amount of response that it wasn't going to be some big fireworks display when I sneaked in. Especially after the thread simmered down and turned into casual banter that had nothing to do with the main topic, like "Are you coming to the shootout this year?" But whatever. I'm over it. I don't get it, but I'm over it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Nice runs :thumbsup: ;)
Thank you sir.! I'm hoping to put those runs in the history book. I'm already in that territory I think but I can't prove anything without new timeslips and the car is down with a hole in one of the header primaries and I am out of of funds this year after purchasing another 8 with a blower on it. So, needless to say, I have time to make things happen. ;) It will be nice to just be able to powerbrake it and let it rip. I had to manually shift all of those runs to get the tune to do what I wanted it to. I hit the rev limiter on most of my runs because the 1-2 just happens too fast and I had trouble timing it right with what the computer wanted to do.

·
Registered
400 Posts
There is a lot of fire in this thread :tongue:. As far as the mods go you'll probably see .2 off with the aluminum spares and suspension. As far as the battery relocation you should see better traction. The A/C delete I have always hated but then again as a southern California resident I need it. I suppose if ur area is rather cool then it probably won't matter. My NPI motor on spray with bolt ons, stock converter, and 4.10's ran 13.1 @ 101 with a 1.76 60'.

Ok, here's one for ya.

'98 Mark VIII LSC runs 13.59 in the 1/4 mile full street trim on failing airride suspension. The car had 145K miles when it ran that time to on the old chitty SCT mail order tune with steelies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDinHcs--0o&list=UUzAG3n7bbZ39T3azT66TiEA&index=7&feature=plcp

http://www.dragtimes.com/Lincoln-Mark-VIII-Timeslip-23346.html

New setup:

T-bird SC springs on Tokicos out front and Koni adjustables in the rear.
Aluminum mini-spares up front with M&H front runners
Battery relocated to the trunk
A/C compressor delete with pulley
Dyno tuned with shift points near 7K (from 6600-6700) and 268rwhp (from 252)

Do I have an awfully low 13?

·
Super Moderator
12,416 Posts
There is a lot of fire in this thread :tongue:. ...
LOL You should see the posts that I deleted...

Anyway, KStromberg. If you don't already have the J-mod on your transmission I suggest getting it done. RobertP sells read to install J-mod kits. A high stall converter will also help bring your times down considerably. Look at a 2,800 or higher stall.

Circle D or Dirtydog performance...

·
Registered
90 Posts
My NPI motor on spray with bolt ons, stock converter, and 4.10's ran 13.1 @ 101 with a 1.76 60'.
That sounds pretty damn good for a NPI dude. I hope that 4-valve swap works out well for you. :cool: I like the fact you have the Cobra intake on there too. Too many people run the stocker on the Gen2 Mark VIIIs and wonder why they can't hit 13s.

I guess I'm trying to eventually see if some weight tricks will do the trick with less than 300 rwhp. In all reality, the top NA Mark VIIIs were all pushing that mark and even more (DLF I think is over 300rwhp??). I have a bit left in the tune because my A/F ratios are in the mid 12s and my dyno numbers were at 98 degrees F. 13.0-13.3 would be more ideal A/F ratios and some better conditions at the shop would put me higher. Otherwise, all I have left to do really if I wanted to on the stock motor is underdrive pullies, electric water pump, and IMRC deletes for possibly a bit more top end.

LOL You should see the posts that I deleted...

Anyway, KStromberg. If you don't already have the J-mod on your transmission I suggest getting it done. RobertP sells read to install J-mod kits. A high stall converter will also help bring your times down considerably. Look at a 2,800 or higher stall.

Circle D or Dirtydog performance...
Thanks for the input TM. I have the Dirty Dog plate kit and I have a 3800 stall Circle D converter in the car now. I have to say that I am very pleased with the durability of the Circle D with the hell it has been through. Had I known that I was going to make it this far, I might have even opted for a bit more stall like around 4000, but oh well. I'm not going to replace what isn't broken.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
No problem. I can do that. I still don't agree with your idea of a hijacked thread when I kept completely on topic and I was presenting a theoretical situation since I haven't done all of the weight reduction I mentioned yet. In no way was I bench racing or even bragging about my car. I was asking a question revolving around the same topic to promote discussion and it appeared to me that the OP had a sufficient amount of response that it wasn't going to be some big fireworks display when I sneaked in. Especially after the thread simmered down and turned into casual banter that had nothing to do with the main topic, like "Are you coming to the shootout this year?" But whatever. I'm over it. I don't get it, but I'm over it.
I think a simple question to the OP of that thread was not completely out of line on the other hand a new topic/question about your own car was way off topic. I wasn't trying to start a fight with you (we all have done it before) I was just pointing it out. Also with your own thread you will get better responses. :thumbsup:

Thank you sir.! I'm hoping to put those runs in the history book. I'm already in that territory I think but I can't prove anything without new timeslips and the car is down with a hole in one of the header primaries and I am out of of funds this year after purchasing another 8 with a blower on it. So, needless to say, I have time to make things happen. ;) It will be nice to just be able to powerbrake it and let it rip. I had to manually shift all of those runs to get the tune to do what I wanted it to. I hit the rev limiter on most of my runs because the 1-2 just happens too fast and I had trouble timing it right with what the computer wanted to do.
That's great. You have a very quick car. I have a mail order tune right now and am getting a dyno tune this spring right after I get my 3.73 gears installed. Can't wait!!

New suspension, much better tune, and a little weight off the front end, I think with your new set up 13.2ish wouldn't be out of the question. Any chance of hitting the track before winter hits?

·
Registered
90 Posts
That's great. You have a very quick car. I have a mail order tune right now and am getting a dyno tune this spring right after I get my 3.73 gears installed. Can't wait!!

I think with your new set up 13.2ish wouldn't be out of the question. Any chance of hitting the track before winter hits?
Thanks again. And I don't think I need to tell you, but a dyno tune will rock your socks off. I made 16 rwhp overall and 24 rwtq on fat mid12 A/F ratios at 98 degrees Fahreheit in the shop. I waited too long. There's nothing better than real-time tuning while on the dyno unless you have the software and the know-how to do your own tuning and datalog at the track in real time driving conditions. But regardless, you'll love it man and best of luck. Unfortunately, I wont' be able to get out this year.

·
Registered
90 Posts
BTW, while I didn't agree with the accusations earlier, my apologies in responding the way I did. Sometimes I get set off and go apechit.

·
Registered
400 Posts
That sounds pretty damn good for a NPI dude. I hope that 4-valve swap works out well for you. :cool: I like the fact you have the Cobra intake on there too. Too many people run the stocker on the Gen2 Mark VIIIs and wonder why they can't hit 13s.
Thanks man, I hope it works out too. Yeah I am hoping to run somewhere in the mid 13's all motor and run low 12's maybe high 11's on a 150 shot of spray.

·
Registered
570 Posts

·
West Virginia Chapter Director /, MA Drag Race Te
2,643 Posts
Between the additional weight reducing measures you have in mind, some future mods you have planned and some additional tuning it should be a low 13 second car, possibly high 12's in the right conditions.

It appears you are running in a cooler climate than most. What track were you running at on the video's. Late fall before the track closes will help out considerably if the track will hook. The air density is much better at that time.

I've seen Drillers car go 13.1's in the right conditions at full Weight so a lighter car at some point should be able to improve upon those times possibly.

You are headed in the right direction!!

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Thanks for the input TM. I have the Dirty Dog plate kit and I have a 3800 stall Circle D converter in the car now. I have to say that I am very pleased with the durability of the Circle D with the hell it has been through. Had I known that I was going to make it this far, I might have even opted for a bit more stall like around 4000, but oh well. I'm not going to replace what isn't broken.

If and when you do get the stall redone, Cirlce D is by far the best choice that I have personally seen.

Don't go with other shady company's, stick with the tried and true.

·
Super Moderator
12,416 Posts
He's kidding KStromberg. We're not all out to get you here.

He's a circle track racer. That 5/8 mile that he's referring to is a short track.

He's referring to himself as a "Bench Racer"

1 - 20 of 30 Posts