TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't really even know how to search on this one. Its odd. From a stop I'll hit the gas(floored) and if it doesn't break loose it will accelerate but then at a little over 3K it will feel like a whole other gear or somethign where it throws you back... is the tune off or is it just how these engines do?? Cuz its just really odd... I figured it would be a gradual increase but no its like a noticable difference... REALLY noticeable. Let me hear the info or point me into a direction if its already been discussed :) Thx guys.

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
In this order I would:
Clean MAF (get the torx bit to take it apart)
Replace/clean air filter
New spark plugs, copper, gapped correctly
New plugs wires
Check compression
Change fluids, oil, tranny, rear-end wouldn't hurt
O2 sensors

From there - what exhaust do you have? Cat's could be clogging.

After that, it may just be your car. If it's worth it, I'd do gears, exhaust, cone air filter, SCT tune etc.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Welcome to the world of a torque-less, non-PI headed 4.6 Modular engine, stuffed into a heavy *** car. The only thing short of a power adder (Supercharger, Nitrous) that's going to give you any really noticeable jump in your bottom end is going to be a rear end gear swap. All that other stuff may help a little, but not enough to make up for our modular short comings. :(

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Now then Brian, don't be to tough on the stock 4.6, a dog its not! There are faster out there, but there are a whole bunch slower too.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol well... as for the list...

1. Maf is cleaned religiously... its checked everytime the air filter is changed
2. Air filter was new with last oil change
3 & 4. New wires and plugs (copper) at 75K... about 10K ago
5. Compression checked good 2 months ago
6. Just got through doing the Jmod so tranny is good. Oil is 2500miles. Rear end is still stock but its only got 87K on it... couldn't hurt to change it though
7. the rear o2's were replaced before I bought the car. But again she just rolled over to 87K. I bought it with 64K on it.
8. Exhaust is stock front cats to 2 1/4 inch true duals to borla's...

Its very odd indeed and I will just see how she does when I get the PI cams and intake put on in the spring/summer time :) But I do think its just the tune.... Can't wait till I can afford an Xcal 2... lonnie don't ever go away in the next like 5 months... and if you don't I'll give you 2 cats upon purchase of my Xcal2 and tunes ;)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Funktastic, nothing is wrong with your car man. What you feel at 3K is the torque peeking=a good thrust. If you had a 4.6 with alot of power instead of thrusting you the tires would break loose while hitting that 3K mark, but our cars are slow.

The only thing these cars have stock is 1st and 2nd gear from 2k to 4k...that's the ONLY time a stock tbird feels fast.

Just to add, you wanna feel low end torque......91 foxbody 5.0 5spd....oh what fun they are.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Are you stock torque converter and rear end? Gears and more stall help pick up that sluggish feeling a lot.. even with my jump from 3.08s -> 3.55s and a mark8 tc.. first time I pulled it out of the garage after letting it back down on all fours surprised me.. felt a lot snappier.

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
FunktasticLucky said:
lol well... as for the list...

1. Maf is cleaned religiously... its checked everytime the air filter is changed
2. Air filter was new with last oil change
3 & 4. New wires and plugs (copper) at 75K... about 10K ago
5. Compression checked good 2 months ago
6. Just got through doing the Jmod so tranny is good. Oil is 2500miles. Rear end is still stock but its only got 87K on it... couldn't hurt to change it though
7. the rear o2's were replaced before I bought the car. But again she just rolled over to 87K. I bought it with 64K on it.
8. Exhaust is stock front cats to 2 1/4 inch true duals to borla's...

Its very odd indeed and I will just see how she does when I get the PI cams and intake put on in the spring/summer time :) But I do think its just the tune.... Can't wait till I can afford an Xcal 2... lonnie don't ever go away in the next like 5 months... and if you don't I'll give you 2 cats upon purchase of my Xcal2 and tunes ;)
Just a note: With the PI cams and intake you will loose even more low end in stock form and gain more higher end! I highly recommend you get a higher stall TC, some steeper gears and a tune to go along with your PI cams and intake. I have basically the same setup you are going for. I am stuck at 15.3 due to stock gearing. When I installed the cams and intake, I could just feel that it took a bit longer to hit the power, but when you hit it it pulls much harder than stock!

When I get gears I am sure to drop into the 14's. That is the plan for this spring. And by the end of the summer i want to be in the 13's!

Just a pointer! Gears/High Stall TC/Custom Tune are the answer for these heavyweights!

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Tony said:
I am stuck at 15.3 due to stock gearing.
you too?? :D actually, whats also holding me back is the one-legged nature of my cat...lol

Tony said:
Just a pointer! Gears/High Stall TC/Custom Tune are the answer for these heavyweights!
couldnt agree more.......although a custom tune for 93 octane with aggressive spark down-low can and does make a huge difference in low-end acceleration.....my friend said that my car felt like it lost a few hundred pounds after the tune, but it really just gained a lot more torque down low

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
guitar maestro said:
you too?? :D actually, whats also holding me back is the one-legged nature of my cat...lol

couldnt agree more.......although a custom tune for 93 octane with aggressive spark down-low can and does make a huge difference in low-end acceleration.....my friend said that my car felt like it lost a few hundred pounds after the tune, but it really just gained a lot more torque down low
Oh yeah, no doubt! The tune just gives the car a boost throughout the whole RPM band! IMO the best mod for the money. It just "Wakes" a sleepy giant sort of deal...lol, firmer shifts, better throttle resonse, more power, and gave me better gas milage. Which evens out for having to pay for 93!

You and I are in the same boat...LOL. I to have a one legged bird! Can't wait to drop in some gears and T-Lok!

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
I will be going the 3.73 route due to me still having to travel back and forth between Cleveland and Norfolk (555 miles one way)!

If that doesn't end up being the issue (if my wife and I get another vehicle), I am going to go with 4.10's!

I can't wait!

:D

Oh and birds fly while cats die.. over and over and over!!! LOL I feel like i'm in grade school again!!

Yea that was ghey...

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dude... after watching my cat hunt birds all of her 16 years of life.... I am going to have to go with the cats eat birds... Those birds could fly yeah but damn cats are fast :/ They are too damn quick for the bird to get too far off the ground... oh and if my dog can jump up and snatch one in flight I think the cats can do just fine :p

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
its the way these cars are programmed thats why it does that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts